Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,243   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kudos to Ilford

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kudos to Ilford

Uncoated Baryta paper continues to become more and more difficult to obtain, so recently Mark Osterman and I were faced with a need with no supplier.

I contacted Simon Galley of Ilford and he shipped me a case of 1000 sheets of 11x14 uncoated glossy Baryta paper within 2 weeks of my confirmation. And the price was just right!

As of now, all boxes have been sold or are promised to either Mark's students or mine and I am in the process of seeing if anyone will be willing to sell this on a regular basis. It is proven to be superb for Silver Gelatin or Collodion POP and has many other uses for alternative print materials.

Please do not contact Ilford. This was a one shot to see if the paper was fully satisfactory, if the need was there and if someone was willing to sell it. The first two parts of that have been proven and the last item of this is being worked out for the alternative photographers out there. You will hear of the outcome.

This note is just to say KUDOS TO ILFORD.

A side note here is that Kodak revised their loss upward by many millions of dollars due to loss of good will. Ilford can count on a big gain in good will by keeping on going as they have been.

Thank you Simon!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never used that type of paper, but sure sounds like a great deal to me!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will FWD this post to a fellow grad student I study with. He has been struggling to make his own POP for some time now and his frustrations are great. Hopefully there may become an avenue in the future for him to commercially purchase a consistent POP if a dealer ever comes to be.

All the best-
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This post relates only to UNCOATED Baryta. The individual is expected to coat whatever alternative print materials on it themselves. It is not directed to commercial manufacture of any product, just the potential availability of the raw uncoated Baryta paper support.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I sure would like some for carbon transfer printing. Would be neat if a matte version came available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is becoming a niche market so anyone who can respond quickly to requests like this is going to have the best chance of surviving IMO!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I heard that Kodak discontinued their B&W photographic paper because they couldn't get the paper any more? Maybe they should have tried buying it from Ilford.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    I heard that Kodak discontinued their B&W photographic paper because they couldn't get the paper any more? Maybe they should have tried buying it from Ilford.

Mike
    This is simply not true.

Kodak had its own paper factory in which it made high quality photographic paper, and they also purchased some from outside vendors just as most other manufacturers of photographic papers do.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    So let's assume for a moment that an uncoated baryta paper were commercially available. What sort of additional preparation might be required for use with various alt-processes. Obviously for carbon, it would need to be sized with gelatin, acrylic, etc. What about iron-based processes, Pt/Pd, cyano, kalli, vandyke, etc? Would you just use it straight out of the package?

Just curious for now, but if a product like this were commercially available, I would consider buying some if it saved time.

--Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Greg;

There is no indication that any sizing is needed. Some processes do benefit from the sizing though by giving more contrast or better tone, but this is process specific. I have gotten good results with even carbon with no sizing. But, sizing is quite easy anyhow.

PE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin