Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,763   Posts: 1,484,033   Online: 1281

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Perhaps it means going to T-Max films alone, and/or designing new papers.

I wonder if there is a way the manufacturers could set up a way that we all could donate the reclaimed silver from our spent fixer back to them (or sell it back at a lower rate than they normally pay for it), or if this would even help them. If you figure that over 50 percent of the silver in the average piece of film or paper gets removed (and dumped down the drain by most people, it would seem from several old threads here), that is quite a substantial amount of silver that will never be of any use to humans ever again.

keith it would be great if the average person cared enough to do something like that
    in the spent fixer poll thread i started years ago nearly 70% of all the responders
    couldn't care less or be bothered to do much more than pour their spent fixer down the drain.
    ... even with silver prices the highest they have ever been,
    and there is a easy and inexpensive way to reduce one's silver waste footprint
    and make $$ at the same time... people still don't care.

too much trouble, or its my right to do whatever i want or ...,
    i can't imagine them wasting their time and energy to mail 32 troy oz of silver flake back to kodak
    as a hand-out ( when they complain incessantly about how kodak has discontinued this
    and discontinued that, and raised their prices and ...., )
    when they don't even bother to have the 32 troy oz refined to convert it to
    $800 for their own 'GAS SLUSH FUND" or automobile fuel, or food, or
    money for a rainy day fund ...

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    keith it would be great if the average person cared enough to do something like that
    in the spent fixer poll thread i started years ago nearly 70% of all the responders
    couldn't care less or be bothered to do much more than pour their spent fixer down the drain.
    ... even with silver prices the highest they have ever been,
    and there is a easy and inexpensive way to reduce one's silver waste footprint
    and make $$ at the same time... people still don't care.

too much trouble, or its my right to do whatever i want or ...,
    i can't imagine them wasting their time and energy to mail 32 troy oz of silver flake back to kodak
    as a hand-out ( when they complain incessantly about how kodak has discontinued this
    and discontinued that, and raised their prices and ...., )
    when they don't even bother to have the 32 troy oz refined to convert it to
    $800 for their own 'GAS SLUSH FUND" or automobile fuel, or food, or
    money for a rainy day fund ...

john
    Yes, people don't make sense sometimes. Why they cannot do the simplest thing to show some respect for the environment and the economy is beyond me.

I don't use the silver magnets or trickle tanks, but I am considering them. Right now I take my chemicals to the local haz-mat disposal yard.

Perhaps if Kodak, Ilford, et al included silver magnets with their fixers along with rebate forms? Build the cost of silver into the product, but make it so the customer can get gift certificates or coupons when they send in the magnets. Something like the redemption value for bottles and cans is what I am thinking of. Not only does it reclaim silver, but it gives customers incentives to keep buying the company's products.

Have you tried pitching the silver magnet thing to Freestyle? Maybe they could serve as a sort of "collection center," and provide in-house coupons to those returning magnets. It would maybe be possible there, but likely not with Kodak or Ilford directly. I don't know if they would bother.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-01-2011 at 03:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yeah, that would be a good idea !
    build in the recovery right into the product
    and it would be a win win situation ...
    and maybe people would actually use their fixer
    to its capacity !

but then we'll have to hear:

" they are making me buy that too ?! forget-it ! ... i'm going to get my fixer
    from the fertilizer guy or the pool shop ... or...
    can i use sea water or salt or baking soda or all tempa cheer for fixer, how about KELP ? "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin