Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,526   Online: 1217

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

"A product portfolio less dependent on silver"

For 2011, the company is taking aggressive action to improve the operating results from these businesses. These actions include capitalizing on Kodak’s market-leading position through a continued focus on unsurpassed quality and service and the introduction of innovative, new film products; continuing to aggressively reduce costs in line with industry decline rates; and taking aggressive actions to mitigate silver pricing volatility, including the implementation of an indexed pricing model for key products and a transition to a product portfolio less dependent on silver.
    What could that possibly mean? Is there really any way to reduce the use of silver? Use smaller formats?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They mean getting out of the film business period, or at least cutting MORE film/paper products.

Shooter
    35mm
    well, I should have quoted the whole thing. The whole paragraph is speaking specifically to the film, photofinishing part of their business.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about providing a link, to help with context?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    perhaps they are talking a more sensitive grain structure (like t grain?) or something.
    we already have seen sheet films diminish

i just know I will be real upset when Trix in 120 goes,
    hate to be a bummer but...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Let's support Ilford and Fuji and the others who don't feel "dependent on silver".

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "This forum is NOT for rumors and speculation"
    Let us keep it that way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps it means going to T-Max films alone, and/or designing new papers.

I wonder if there is a way the manufacturers could set up a way that we all could donate the reclaimed silver from our spent fixer back to them (or sell it back at a lower rate than they normally pay for it), or if this would even help them. If you figure that over 50 percent of the silver in the average piece of film or paper gets removed (and dumped down the drain by most people, it would seem from several old threads here), that is quite a substantial amount of silver that will never be of any use to humans ever again.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Someone else mentioned that color technologies are less silver-dependent than B&W ones because all the silver is bleached out and can be reclaimed. Of course this directly benefits the photofinishers and not the person buying the film but one can assume the effect would trickle down somewhat.

Link to the statement on Kodak website

http://kexmd.kodak.com/eknec/PageQue...oreLocale=true
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    it is in the paragraph after the one you quoted:

"In addition, Kodak is leveraging its expertise in materials and chemical science and coating technology to expand its participation in large industrial markets around the world, including printed circuit boards, industrial printing, and gelatin for pharmaceutical and other applications. As volumes decline for traditional photographic products, Kodak plans to increase sales in these new markets to mitigate the decline by repurposing existing technology and assets."
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin