Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,159   Online: 894

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    as i understand it, there is about 1/4 troy oz of silver in
    a gallon of spent fixer ... it isn't a lot, but it adds up
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, lets round things off a bit.

There are about 100 - 200 mg / ft square of silver in paper and about 300 mg / ft square of silver in film.

Go figure the capacity of your fixer and the amount of material put through it and you can guesstimate the amount of silver in exhausted fixer. Now, figure that the extraction process from the fixer is going to cost you, and then that the extraction and refinement of the silver from the material used to extract silver from the fixer (2 step process - yours and then the refiner). This reduces the value of silver by over 2/3 in some cases.

Now, you can figure what your silver is worth!

Ain't much, is it?

Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At this point I am more concerned with the average persons ability to make a living that is appropriate with the massive attack on him from all angles recently than I am with how much I pay for film. From an historical perspective film is unbelievably cheap right now. Even if the price doubles, it will still be cheap.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Now, you can figure what your silver is worth!
    Ain't much, is it?
    Probably not no, but still enough for Silverprint to jump in (pdf). Nice initiative.

I always feel a bit bad when I bring spent fixer to the local disposal station. They collect so little fixer these days that I wouldn't be surprised if my petty amounts go down the drain right there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All those Pt/Pd printers and gold toners out there are mocking you :-)
    http://www.kitco.com/market/
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    35mm
    Even ignoring inflation, silver prices now are cheaper than they were when the Hunt brothers drove up prices ($50/oz vs $39oz). Film manufacturers then responded by raising prices. They also kept them raised once the price of silver fell back down. I guess stocking up on film will be a good investment!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I knew the answer to the O.Ps question I would be trading in futures on the stock market.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    Probably not no, but still enough for Silverprint to jump in (pdf). Nice initiative.

I always feel a bit bad when I bring spent fixer to the local disposal station. They collect so little fixer these days that I wouldn't be surprised if my petty amounts go down the drain right there.

chances are they put your fluids into a incinerator and burn it.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    chances are they put your fluids into a incinerator and burn it.
    What happens to silver in fixer when you burn it? Rain down in one's backyard?

This makes Silverprint's initiative seem all the nicer. Pity I don't live near London. AFAIK, we don't have anything like this near where I live (apart from the general disposal station).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When the Hunt brothers drove up the cost of silver, Kodak launched a 2 pronged effort to conserve silver by R&D. One method involved reducing the actual silver content by over 50% in color papers by means of a proprietary catalytic imaging process. The other involved leaving the silver in a donor sheet that could be returned to Kodak for silver reclamation. Both projects died after a few years, when silver prices went back down. The latter product was called Ektaflex "C" and Ektaflex "R" paper, and was terminated by the Polaroid lawsuit.

PE

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin