Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,913   Posts: 1,521,682   Online: 1059

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The real question that begs to be answered, and should be discussed, is: 'How long can silver based photography last?'

Think about it. With accelerating demand due to silver being incorporated in many industrial processes to manufacture all of the electronic toys we are so fond of, how long do you all think it'll take until all of the silver reserves around the world will simply be depleted?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    So that is why those little 'PMT' like machines disappeared so quickly.

I was given a box of receiver paper for Ektaflex earlier this year. I tried using it in a great qualtiy Olympus dye sub printer I was also given, and it did not work. Oly proprietary paper is now rare as hell, so both the Ektaflex paper and the printer went to the recycling depot in the same trip.
    I know this is off-topic for APUG, but Olympus still makes paper for their printers, it's just that you have to buy direct.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Think about it. With accelerating demand due to silver being incorporated in many industrial processes to manufacture all of the electronic toys we are so fond of, how long do you all think it'll take until all of the silver reserves around the world will simply be depleted?
    According to This USGS report, industrial use of silver is declining, not accelerating. Also, current mine production would use up all known reserves in about twenty years or so, but of course "known reserves" can be subject to change. Most of the growth in silver "consumption" in the past few years has been hoarding by ETFs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    According to This USGS report, industrial use of silver is declining, not accelerating. Also, current mine production would use up all known reserves in about twenty years or so, but of course "known reserves" can be subject to change. Most of the growth in silver "consumption" in the past few years has been hoarding by ETFs.
    Thank you for that. I appreciate the correction. It's almost nice to see the opportunist frenzy being a big contributing factor after all...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-25-2011 at 08:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: never mind
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    Help me on this:

The wording I find vague, but the numbers not so. Sounds like the overall use of silver is increasing.
    It is somewhat vague, depending on what you count as "use," and the time period you look at. And this report is not well organized, but it does show, I think a reasonable overview of production and use. Metals use of all kinds plunged drastically at the start of the recession and then the financial crisis. There's been a rebound in industrial use as the economy improves, but discretionary uses like jewelry are still lagging because of higher prices. And of course photography use still declines. Since some believe that investor hoarding is a direct or indirect result of the various Fed special-asset-purchase programs, it will be interesting to see what happens when those programs end this summer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That article doesn't explain why silver has gone nuts. It basically takes two long pages to reiterate that it has gone nuts !

Besides, even if the author had some new point to make I wouldn't believe him because he writes:

"Silver is a totally pointless metal. (Okay, it does have some industrial applications — but even there it's generally substitutable. It's pointless, or at least a luxury, for ordinary people.)"

I'd like to see him try and substitute silver for something else in our papers and still have them perform the same. Oh, and my hobby is not some industrial exploit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    Oh, and my hobby is not some industrial exploit.
    For you, maybe not, but for the producers and manufacturers of the material, it is. Also, "photographic use" in these kinds of statistics includes all commercial, industrial, and medical uses of any kind of photographic material, not just consumer stuff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Moopheus View Post
    For you, maybe not, but for the producers and manufacturers of the material, it is. Also, "photographic use" in these kinds of statistics includes all commercial, industrial, and medical uses of any kind of photographic material, not just consumer stuff.
    My point was that the author suggested it is only used in industrial applications. Clearly for the vast majority of APUG-ians this is not the case (irrespective of the total worldwide % of silver used by us).

Also the author suggested silver is replace-able by another element. Tthis is clearly wrong for photographic use (assuming one wants to preserve all existing characteristics of the silver based negs and papers).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    My point was that the author suggested it is only used in industrial applications.
    He's right. You, for instance, do not buy silver. You buy film. Kodak and Ilford are buying the silver to make the film. Film is made by an industrial process. It's an industrial product. You may use it to make pretty pictures of trees or whatever, but to the statisticians, that's irrelevant.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin