Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,438   Online: 815

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Price of silver - How far will the market be able to stretch?

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html#ny

I am looking at the price of silver like most of you would… with a lot of anxiety. And an obvious question, how much more will the market and the industry be able to absorb higher silver prices as we have past $39 per ounce, we were at $19 in August last year.
    The Telegraph is questioning whether a fall of silver prices is not coming up next.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...or-a-fall.html ... other sources demonstrate that the commodity is still underpriced.

I can't help wondering, with a lot of anxiety, how much more capacity the photographic industry and its market have to absorb steeping silver prices?

When is Ilford increasing its prices next, will we still be able to afford it?

Best

Delphine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a discussion about this earlier, but I think the silver in a piece of film or paper represents only a very small fraction of the selling price. So yes, photo products will probably go up in price, but surely nowhere near the amount that silver has jumped.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

The perception seems to be that the amount of silver in photo products is 'very' small ( pennies! ) as a percentage of the selling price, the amount of silver in each box of paper and roll of film ( especially monochrome paper and film ) as a percentage of the total raw material costs is now very,very high indeed, and needless to say more than twice the cost to us than it was a mere 7 months ago.

But DW Thomas is also correct in that the price of silver as a raw material, although double, will not double the retail cost or indeed anywhere like it.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At least that is good thing to hear.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a guy with a lot of manufacturing background let me point out that silver is only involved in the film manufacturing. The cost to the consumer is more affected by energy prices.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Silver recovery companies who have been stockpiling silver while it was at $19 must be happy -- or nervous about if they should cash a bunch in now, or wait until it rises higher.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They should probably take the profit relatively soon. (Woo-Hoo, now I'm an investment advisor too!)

Despite my ever present right wing slant on all things political, the simple truth is that things are either going to begin to retreat to previous levels or we're going to learn to life with a "new" normal.

If the survivalists turn out to be right and the whole world turns to violence lead is precious metal. Not silver or gold.
    Michael Batchelor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    If the survivalists turn out to be right and the whole world turns to violence lead is precious metal. Not silver or gold.
    Actually, silver still would be, as a disinfectant.

Just sayin'
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Labor prices affect manufacture as well as raw good stocks including oil which is the base for almost all organic chemicals used today.

As for lead, gold or silver, I would bet on depleted Uranium if we turn to violence.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Uranium, huh?

Well, we need to come up with something else. Of the four I don't have a stockpile of any.

Maybe I'll become chattel.
    Michael Batchelor

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin