Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,403   Online: 978

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mamiya 7ii has a revolving insert too.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...and the Mamiya Press system backs, of course. The pressure plate comes off and you can flip it over for the other format. And you must flip the counter switch to 220 too, or else you lose half a roll.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    My Yashica Mat 124G door has a little plate that you slide up for 220 or down for 120. As well, my RZ 6x6 back has a similar feature for 220 film, where you twist and rotate the plate depending on 120 or 220 film. I still have 2 boxes of 220 TXP in my freezer which I love using.

As a side note, is the biggest problem with using 120 film in a 220 back the film flatness or is there something else like spacing I am missing?
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    My Yashica Mat 124G door has a little plate that you slide up for 220 or down for 120. As well, my RZ 6x6 back has a similar feature for 220 film, where you twist and rotate the plate depending on 120 or 220 film. I still have 2 boxes of 220 TXP in my freezer which I love using.

As a side note, is the biggest problem with using 120 film in a 220 back the film flatness or is there something else like spacing I am missing?
    The spacing can be off, so you can get fewer frames, but film flatness is generally not an issue, since the 220 pressure plate is closer to the film gate than a 120 one (no backing paper to add thickness). The extra thickness of the 120 film/paper just pushes the pressure plate back into its spring, so the film is still held flatly.

Going the other way (220 in a 120 back), film flatness is not as good as it should be, and you only get to use half the roll (unless you can somehow reset the frame counter).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    So why aren't we buying 220 backs for cheap and putting 120 film through them?
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    So why aren't we buying 220 backs for cheap and putting 120 film through them?
    Some people do. But you can have odd frame spacings and lose frames on some cameras. When I do this on my M645's, I lose half of the last frame. Hassies lose one whole frame, I believe. My friend does it with her RB all the time; she doesn't even have any 120 backs.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Pentax 6x7 takes both 120 and 220. You slide the plate one way for 120 and the other way for 220.
    In addition there is a slotted button on the outside that must be set to 10 for 120 and 21 for 220.

I get 11 frames from 120 film in a Hasselblad 220 back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The biggest problem with using 120 film in a 220 back is remembering how long the film is when you get to 10 (or 12 or 15/16) on the film counter .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried running a test roll of 120 film through a 220 back for my Bronica SQ-A and found it hard to advance the film, due to the extra thickness caused by the paper backing on the 120 film. So I don't do that.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using 120 in a hassey 220 back,do you lose the frist frame or last?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin