Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,417   Online: 1016

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    What I'm curious about is how come none of the other manufacturers are increasing their prices?

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes to be fair to Harman, all the "vibrations" I received from employees on both tours told me that Harman values its employees greatly and cutting labour would have been the absolute last resort.

We live in a nasty world where people make money not by adding to the wealth of the world but simply by speculation with no concern for the consequences.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    We live in a nasty world where people make money not by adding to the wealth of the world but simply by speculation with no concern for the consequences.

pentaxuser
    Even worse is, that they are allowed to do this with billions of borrowed / loaned money from banks, so in essence our money.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Even worse is, that they are allowed to do this with billions of borrowed / loaned money from banks, so in essence our money.
    Watch the movie 'Inside Job' some time, if you haven't already. I don't wish to derail the thread, but that there isn't legislation preventing trading in derivatives and betting against poorly performing mortgages is just utterly ludicrous. Mutual funds aren't safe anymore.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    The people who got screwed are the 20% or 58 who lost their jobs at Harmon, that's not nice. I'd rather see some products cut and nothing new in the works than to see people lose their jobs.
    This is how companies go broke, cutting product development instead of cutting people.

Having been in IT for 30 years I have been on the wrong end of this 4 times. 2 of those were clearly caused by another company doing better product development than the company I was with. Both of those companies survived because they took the hard road of letting people go. After every one of those layoffs I found a better job at better pay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope the silver speculators get screwed like the Hunt Brothers 30 years ago at some point soon.

Despite the price increase, I will still be using Ilford products because of their commitment to the market and the consistent quality of film and paper.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If Ilford goes up any higher in price, I'm switching to Adox.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No one can complain unless there buying film in canada or a country in a similar position, FP4 at the largest photo chain in 120 WITH my student discount is over $6 per 120 roll, and thats one of the cheapest offerings. If I want to buy colour like provia 400 god help me. A 100 sheet of the cheapest ilford RC is $80 , and prices go up from that.

Its really tough, I love to support my local store, and they give me a decent discount which is nice, but even then im forced to support US stores often, unless I just want one or two rolls to test a new emulsion but the bulk orders where all the margin are is always through the states

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would ask them to match B&H's price but their retail is probably below cost in Canada. Though even B&H had to raise prices from $3.69 to $4.25 per roll of FP4+ 120

T-max is now cheaper than Delta. HP5+ remains competitive.
    Last edited by hpulley; 06-07-2011 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That said, in 120 there aren't really alternatives to FP4+ or Delta 3200 so what can you do? Luckily I'm still working through what I bought in January before the last increase but it is dwindling.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin