Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,243   Online: 1059

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 267891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Foma 100 is similar to FP4 although i would prefer FP4, delta 3200 in 120 is unique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Watch the movie 'Inside Job' some time, if you haven't already. I don't wish to derail the thread, but that there isn't legislation preventing trading in derivatives and betting against poorly performing mortgages is just utterly ludicrous. Mutual funds aren't safe anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    I hope the silver speculators get screwed like the Hunt Brothers 30 years ago at some point soon.
    To really see what unregulated monster we are up to, see the following quote from this European Union critical raw materials summary report:

"In addition, markets are experiencing the growing impact of finance, with a significant increase in financial investment flows into commodity derivative markets in recent years.
    Between 2003 and 2008, for example, institutional investors increased their investments in commodities markets from 13 billion euro in 2003 to between 170 and 205 billion euro in 2008. While the financial crisis interrupted the upward trend, financial positions approached or even exceeded their 2008 peaks on many markets in 2010 and investment by index traders in particular has increased strongly. While the debate on the relative importance of the multiple factors influencing commodities prices is still open, it is clear that price movements across different commodity markets have become more closely related, and that commodities markets have become more closely linked to financial markets."

205(!) billion euro... , up from 13... Throwing in another 20 billion euro to buy up the entire worth of the worlds yearly silver production at a price of some 25 euro per ounce, is like buying a cup of coffee at Starbucks for them.

Interestingly, you may wish to start rethinking what you are going to sign your prints in the next few years with... "Graphite" is listed as a critical resource! Using that good old worn pencil may become history in another few years. On the good site, no more new Chernobyl style graphite moderated nuclear reactors as well

Also interestingly, silver is only mildly critical compared to some of the other resources, being lower in supply risk and lower in economic relevance...

More here:
    http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/polic...l/index_en.htm

And the full 84 page report and 223 page PDF annex to the short summary report linked entirely above:
    http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/polic...eport-b_en.pdf
    http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/polic...nex-v-b_en.pdf

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 06-07-2011 at 04:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    [I]"In addition, markets are experiencing the growing impact of finance, with a significant increase in financial investment flows into commodity derivative markets in recent years.

Marco
    So that's from the Euro parliament...

Well.

It takes a special kind of fool to call any money put into commodity derivatives an "investment".

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    FP4 36 exp is now 6.89 at Freestyle, I don't know if BH and Adorama have hiked their prices up yet, because it's now significantly cheaper.

HP5 is cheap right now because of the 2-packs, I might buy 4 or 5 of those and be good for a while, since I just shoot 2-3 rolls per month, at the most.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yikes, I just looked at the price of my next box of MGWT and nearly fell off my chair. £190 for a box of 50 20x16.... that's close to putting a fiver under the easel each time! Now Adox MCC is cheaper by over £30 for 50 sheets and what perplexes me is that MG IV is £50 cheaper for a box of 50. That can't be down to silver prices alone, can it? Its a shame I don't get along with MGIV.

Ilford prices seem to be doing the same as Leica. I know silver prices have gone up, but is that the full explanation for the meteoric increases over the last few years?

I really want to keep using Ilford products, but at these prices I am likely to start using alternatives. I just can't justify plonking £400 down for 100 sheets of paper. It certainly makes you more efficient in the darkroom....
    Last edited by Tom Stanworth; 06-23-2011 at 12:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just can't justify plonking £400 down for 100 sheets of paper
    This is two months average month salary in my country ..........

I have changed to Foma, also good papers and still reasonable priced.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I picked up a couple rolls of Arista Edu 100 in 120 the other day when I stopped in a freestyle. While I still think Fuji Acros 100 is the best buy in a medium speed film, I recently read that some people feel that Arista Edu 100 (aka Foma Pan 100) has a similar look to the old Agfa APX 100 which was my favorite medium speed film. I really wish I could keep shooting Adox/Efke films. At $4.99 a 120 roll, I would expect better QC. I've had too many rolls where the first frame was exposed at the very edge of the strip. One can even see the band across the top where the backing paper was taped.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should expect Fomapan would be the cheapest in the Czech Republic (where it is produced) but it's not.

Best prices you will get in Norway, Germany or the Netherlands. The Q.C. of original FP films has been significant improved with the last production. They are using a different backing paper now and the emulsion itself is better hardened.

Like all manufactureres the prices went up but not till in the sky.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently picked up 20 rolls of current Agfa APX100 at £1 per roll (Silverprint were selling it like hot cakes at Photographica in London last Month). I know it's not the same as the original APX - but it is pretty good film and exceptional for that sort of money. Which sort of brings me to a "thought":

If there's silver in traditional B&W film, either the amount used in various films / brands must vary massively and/or the cost of production for Ilford is disproportionately high compared to the likes of Foma, Agfa, etc.......

It does seem difficult to reconcile the Ilford price hike solely with the increase in the price of silver. That said, a world without Ilford (the photographic company not the place in Essex) would be a very bad place indeed.....
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
    I recently picked up 20 rolls of current Agfa APX100 at £1 per roll (Silverprint were selling it like hot cakes at Photographica in London last Month). I know it's not the same as the original APX - but it is pretty good film and exceptional for that sort of money. Which sort of brings me to a "thought":

If there's silver in traditional B&W film, either the amount used in various films / brands must vary massively and/or the cost of production for Ilford is disproportionately high compared to the likes of Foma, Agfa, etc.......

It does seem difficult to reconcile the Ilford price hike solely with the increase in the price of silver. That said, a world without Ilford (the photographic company not the place in Essex) would be a very bad place indeed.....
    I don't think one could accurately claim that the raw material cost rise in silver is soley responsible for the increase. But the increase in silver costs are symptomatic of broader cost increases, with silver simply being the most drastic and most visible.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin