Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,586   Online: 931

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am proud to say I just burned through 25 rolls of Ilford film in one week... Delta 400 (store was out of T-Max 400) and Delta 3200 in 120 format.
    It stung a bit cost wise, but I had fun, so what the hey! And who else makes something like Delta 3200 in 120?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

rising prices

Quote Originally Posted by ArtTwisted View Post
    bummer, good thing my big order of kentmere paper is going through right before that, and remaining stocks will stay at the lower prices for awhile im sure as well at the big stores.
    You can hope the big stores hold steady on the price of materials already in stock, but don't bet on it.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
    I recently picked up 20 rolls of current Agfa APX100 at £1 per roll (Silverprint were selling it like hot cakes at Photographica in London last Month).
    Remember that stuff was made a few years ago, stored as huge rolls before being packaged, and is now being sold without the recent silver price rises coming in to play, and for a deliberately end-of-life price. The longest use-by date I have is not much more than a year.

That being said, it is/was really nice stuff and I have a bit more than 150 35mm rolls stored, but used up the 120 some time ago :-/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Havent really had time to read through the entire thread, but all I can say is I know that the last thing Harman have wanted to do is increase prices, but they really have little option. They have to keep the company profitable - in the end this is a company operated and owned by 6 enthusiast directors - and they don't all turn up at the office in Ferraries or Bentleys!

At the same time they have forged the alliance with Hahnemuhle and released a new FB paper - this really opens up the future of FB as Hahnemuhle, I understand, are a smaller and more adaptable mill to Felix Schoeller (who currently make ALL regular baryta FB base used by Ilford, Foma, Efke etc. and demand large minimum orders).

The other things I would say are - We haven't seen sales fall off following the increases. And whilst paper is a lot more costly than it was, it's still dwafed by the cost of high end inkjet.

Matt
    Last edited by Matt5791; 07-01-2011 at 02:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    @Matt5791 - That seems a vary fair assessment of the situation as regards Ilford/Harman. I think that they are always as open as they can be with us, given due allowance for commercial sensitivities.

(My gripe is with companies that try to dress up bad news as being something entirely for the benefits of the consumers. I'm looking at a letter today from the Chief Executive of a company (nothing to do with photography) with which I deal, telling me of their wonderful new "stratigic partnership" and the amazing benefits which we, as customers, will enjoy in the future. Basically, it comes down to "we're all retiring and we've sold out to the best offer". I'd respect them more if they just said that...and spelled my name correctly! Rant over.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    they don't all turn up at the office in Ferraries or Bentleys!
    Matt
    So some do ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livsey View Post
    So some do ?
    Hey, that was just me , picking up a batch of the new Ilford Multigrade Art 300... Got to keep the 500 horsepowers in condition by an occasional full throttle ride
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    last week we were investigating ilford range of products and prices.
    We fell out of our chair when we saw the prices. Compaired to adox, i can not imagine that the ilford product is 200% better than adox.

If you know how much silver there actually is in a box of paper, it's strange that the prices go up that much.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Irreplaceable in the 'silver' gelatin process, it's unavoidable. Harman can't keep eating the increased cost of raw material. The economics of it is unfortunate, but all of us will have to learn how to deal with it.
    I am currently re-printing a ton of old negatives, and some of them on Ilford Warmtone paper. It's hard to justify the expense for me. Very very hard. Every time I order more 11x14 fiber paper, and pay 3 dollars per sheet, I look in the mirror and think I must be insane. And I only order one box at a time. It's all that I can afford. A box lasts me a couple of months, so I'm spending a thousand dollars a year on Ilford paper. This is petty cash compared to many other silver printers. I doubt someone like Bob Carnie spends less than that in one day of printing silver gelatin.

I'm not asking Mr Galley of Harman to defend their pricing; I understand why it is as it is. All I'm saying is that I don't know how long I can keep it up. There will be a time, shortly, where I can't afford this passion anymore, and that saddens me to no end. I'm sure there are others in my situation.

- Thomas
    1000! Bloody hell.

I'm only just starting with printing and film. I've been shooting film since November, the price rise is a bit a of a pain. Especially since I just paid £7 for one roll of delta 3200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Time to offshore labor to a cheaper country like the USA?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin