Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,701   Online: 794

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    last week we were investigating ilford range of products and prices.
    We fell out of our chair when we saw the prices. Compaired to adox, i can not imagine that the ilford product is 200% better than adox.

The strange thing is that in the U.K. at two very competitive retailers Adox paper is more expensive than Ilford and over the recent period Adox paper has actually grown proportionally more expensive. In the kind of quantities that Adox and Ilford export to the rest of Europe in Ilford's case and into the U.K. in Adox's case I cannot believe that transport costs make that much difference.

So does both Ilford and Adox believe that "foreign" customers will pay more for a product than will domestic buyers? Is it the retailers/distributors who have a role in the matter rather than Ilford or Adox? I have no idea.

There has to be a reason for this kind of "price reversal" but what this reason is, will I am sorry to say, remain unanswered. We can speculate here on APUG to our heart's content but speculation is what it will remain.

I can only conclude that those who could answer questions such as this, do not believe it is in their interest to do so.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    just did a quick price check of Ilford stuff here (converted to US$ would be slightly dearer at the moment... I can't be stuffed looking it up)

35mm
    FP4 24exp $8.80
    HP5 24exp $8.80
    D3200 36exp $14.85

FP4 $9.90
    HP5 $9.90
    D3200 $12.10

Papers (8x10 100shts)
    MG RC $133
    MG FB $177
    MG FB WT $230

There are cheaper alternatives (eg. foma paper)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Something else we all need to remeber when making comparisons around the globe with UK prices - you need to take off the VAT to obtain the true price. VAT is charged at 20% on the NETT price. (ie. £nett x 20%)

To remove the VAT the calculation is easy (note: you cant just subtract 20% from the total inclusive price, you'll get the wrong answer) - divide any VAT inclusive price by 1.2 = eg, our current price for 1 roll FP4 120 is £3.48 = £2.90 excluding VAT, the actual price we are selling the item for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Europe VAT that is charged by a business and paid by its customers is non recoverable, so for the average customer 1 roll FP4 120 is £3.48 not £2.90.

Only a business is generally able to recover input VAT to the extent that the input VAT is attributable to its taxable outputs. Input VAT is recovered by setting it against the output VAT for which the business is required to account to the government, or, if there is an excess, by claiming a repayment from the government.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791 View Post
    Something else we all need to remeber when making comparisons around the globe with UK prices - you need to take off the VAT to obtain the true price. VAT is charged at 20% on the NETT price. (ie. £nett x 20%)
    Well, as far as price comparison in web shops is concerned - in Germany shops selling goods to end customers have to state the price including VAT (19% currently).
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, and no to mention The Nordic countries where VAT can go as high as 25%...
    The thing is, in US, to the end customer 1 roll FP4 120 cost ~ the EU price but without VAT.
    While US branded goods cost in EU much more than they do domestically..
    I guess smaller countries are doomed forever to pay higher prices.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by georg16nik View Post
    In Europe VAT that is charged by a business and paid by its customers is non recoverable, so for the average customer 1 roll FP4 120 is £3.48 not £2.90.

Only a business is generally able to recover input VAT to the extent that the input VAT is attributable to its taxable outputs. Input VAT is recovered by setting it against the output VAT for which the business is required to account to the government, or, if there is an excess, by claiming a repayment from the government.
    That is all correct. For the ordinary amateur retail customer, the price which matters is the price actually paid, including whatever taxes, etc., are applicable.

Goods imported to the UK from non-EEC countries are also chargeable to UK duty plus VAT by HM Revenue & Customs, (except for very low-value packets), so this has to be taken into account if buying film in any quantity from overseas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about the price being the same. When I log into Maco direct as a registered foreigner I get 0% VAT prices and yet Ilford FP4+ 120 is still 3,35EUR (32,69EUR in 10 roll quantity) while at B&H it is $4.25, still a 12% savings though if you purchase locally in NY you will have to pay NY sales tax I presume. Until recently FP4+ was $3.69 at B&H but the June 1st increase took it up (I'm not sure they raised it in January).
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    When I log into Maco direct as a registered foreigner I get 0% VAT prices and yet Ilford FP4+ 120 is still 3,35EUR [...]
    Yup, as a German I see 3,99 €/single roll.
    Regards,
    Andreas

foc

Shooter
    35mm
    Just remember where you are making the order from and where the order is being processed. If you are in the EU (European Union) you will pay Vat at the local rate (local where the purchase was made). If you a business and have a vat number you can have the inter EU purchase made excluding the local Vat rate. If you are outside the EU the you will have the purchase Vat exampt (as far as I know).

Unfortunatly not all business on the web in the EU offer the business Vat exempt. I have a photo business in Ireland (part of the EU and the Euro) and I have only found very few on line businesses that will deal vat exampt even when I produce my Vat number. Some businesses don't even know about Vat exemption and how it works. I understand most on line businesses are retail not b2b but there is business there for b2b if they are interested. (b2b means business to business just incase ....................)

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4891011121314

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin