Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,077   Online: 955

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    You haven't said as much but it sounds as if the HP5+ will be about the same price?

Anyway this price for Acros 120 would be " film user paradise" if it were available for anything near this price in the U.K.

No wonder a lot of users in the U.S wonder what our concern and moans are about with Ilford prices if they think that we can get it anywhere near this price.

Unfortunately we can't - not even close. I make a pledge here and now for me and I suspect I can say the same for a lot of fellow U.K. and European users, if not all. If we can get anywhere near these prices I will forever hold my peace.

pentaxuser
    Pentaxuser,
    How right you are, if in the U.K Ilford prices were on a par with what they are in the U.S.A. I for one would not be complaining about this and would forever be using their products, but we are charged almost double the USA price for film,paper, and for me Ilford has priced itself out of the market in the UK, when I can get paper that is just as good, or even maybe better than the Ilford product,at half of the price, I am refering to Fotospeed FBVC, made for fotospeed by Harman, anjd subject to both Harman QC and Fotospeed QC, and the Ilford equilevent in their RCWT, I can get Fotospeed for £19 per box of 50 sheets 91/2x12, the size I mainly use,compared to around £42 per box the same size for the Ilford product The fotospeed paper is as warm,if not slightly warmer with the right developer,so for me it is a no brainer,I support Harman in so much as they make the paper under contract, but the FS paper has only seen a small increase over the last year, this is the second price rise from Ilford in 2 months, Please note I am referring to the U.K and European market only, and while the FS paper is around I will use it,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Life's a bitch, then you die
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    It is elementary economics that , with any consumer products, not just photographic, ongoing price increases will, eventually, be counterproductive and affect the volume of sales, especially at a time of recession and economies and in a decliming market, as customers move to cheaper options, use less, or even postpone purchases altogether.

Harman hasn't cornered the world's silver market. Are they supposed to eat the increase in silver prices to hold film prices down? Doubtful.
    Of course they haven't.....but, like it or not, and whatever the reason (and I'm sure that Ilford will not have taken the decision lightly), increased prices will
    reduce sales unit volume. Few customers are lucky enough to have unlimited funds to spend on anything, hobbies or essentials.

I'd also agree with the later comment that the digital option, with proper costing, is not a cheaper choice....and, as we analog fans fully understand, it's far less satisfying in most respects. But, sadly, many (most?) people perceive it that way and are happy with their quick-and-cheerful tiny pics on their smartphone screen.

I'm not criticising Ilford or anyone, just making a statement of the facts as I see them...which is basically that high costs, be it silver or (as Ilford also state) other production costs, are bad news for our hobby.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You haven't said as much but it sounds as if the HP5+ will be about the same price?
    HP5+ in 120 is about $3.50-$4.00 here in the US.
    Yes, I couldn't believe the supplier of my Acros continues to sell it at $2.69; they seem to alternate between in and out of stock all the time. I hope they don't see this and figure they should raise the price.

I feel for you all having to pay those high prices in the UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad. I switched from Ilford for most things some time ago, though. It's terrible. I love their products. They are just exorbitant now. As long as Arista Premium is here, I will use that instead of HP5. Then we will see what happens when that is gone.

I wonder why products like Oriental, Adox, Fotokemika, etc. have been able to minimize their price increases during this time, while Ilford's have got out of hand. A box of Ilford fiber paper has gone up about $30 per box in the past five years, while Oriental has gone up about half as much. This makes me think there is more to it than simple raw materials costs. Perhaps Ilford products really aren't selling that well in the grand scheme of things.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    HP5+ in 120 is about $3.50-$4.00 here in the US.
    Yes, I couldn't believe the supplier of my Acros continues to sell it at $2.69; they seem to alternate between in and out of stock all the time. I hope they don't see this and figure they should raise the price.

I feel for you all having to pay those high prices in the UK.
    Good job you are living in the USA, we are paying around the equivelent of $7.00 for a roll of HP5+ 35mm 36 exp and around $6.00 for 120, so perhaps you can see where we are coming from when we complain about the price of Ilford film and paper, it make photography very expensive this side of the pond if we only use Ilford materials, I would have loved to continue to use Ilford film and paper, I have done so for the last 30 years or so, but they are simply getting to pricey for some of us when we can get materials at half the price that are just as good, and the most annoying part is that Ilford stuff is made this side of the water,where as Kodak Film, made in the USA, is in many cases, now cheaper to buy than Ilford here, and no one can say that Kodak film is not of the highest quality,and the prices I quoted are without the latest price rise,
    Richard

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    Of course they haven't.....but, like it or not, and whatever the reason (and I'm sure that Ilford will not have taken the decision lightly), increased prices will
    reduce sales unit volume. Few customers are lucky enough to have unlimited funds to spend on anything, hobbies or essentials.

I'd also agree with the later comment that the digital option, with proper costing, is not a cheaper choice....and, as we analog fans fully understand, it's far less satisfying in most respects. But, sadly, many (most?) people perceive it that way and are happy with their quick-and-cheerful tiny pics on their smartphone screen.

I'm not criticising Ilford or anyone, just making a statement of the facts as I see them...which is basically that high costs, be it silver or (as Ilford also state) other production costs, are bad news for our hobby.
    What % of your household income goes to film/paper/chemistry/labs relative to: food? gas? utilities? healthcare/pharma? booze? tobacco? Perspective is everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    and the most annoying part is that Ilford stuff is made this side of the water,where as Kodak Film, made in the USA, is in many cases, now cheaper to buy than Ilford here
    And, the funny thing is it quite the opposite here as many times the Kodak stuff is more expensive than the Ilford stuff.

I grew up in the UK so I always had an affinity for Ilford. I remember getting Ilford film from the chemist shop at the top of my street and learned to print using Ilford papers etc.

Ilford is still my preference for the most part but their papers are getting awfully pricey and I waste a good bit of the stuff making bone head mistakes or not like using little bits for test strips etc. I am almost to the end of what was my large stash of Ilford MG IV, now only 100-150 sheets left.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have to look at this in perspective. I was listening to an interview with Danny Lyon a while back and he said in the early 60's he had to pay a dollar a roll for Tri-X, and that was bulk loading. That means that if film just simply stayed the same price relative to inflation on the dollar it would be around $7.50 today. Film is still really cheap folks! In fact, I would say that relative to everything else, film has never been so cheap!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film is still really cheap folks! In fact, I would say that relative to everything else, film has never been so cheap!
    I agree, I am OK with the price of film and I have plenty in the freezer to keep me going in 120 and 4x5 for a while.
    It is the price of paper that is painful for me.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin