Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,979   Online: 817

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another increase just six months later? I'm still using the stash I bought before the last increase that didn't really even come at B&H!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mwdake View Post
    I agree, I am OK with the price of film and I have plenty in the freezer to keep me going in 120 and 4x5 for a while.
    It is the price of paper that is painful for me.
    I agree. I recently have been going back to Ilford for 120 and 4x5 because I want the quality and consistency. I have been happy with other papers such as Foma and Adox at less cost. But ever increasing costs have impacted my photography. I shoot mostly paper negatives for my 11x14 while I keep learning wet plate in smaller foramts with the goal of eventually shooting 11x14 plates.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like most people here, film isn't really the issue for me either. It's definitely the price of paper that is killing my relationship with Ilford. I still use MGWT for my portraits, while everything else has been switched to Fomabrom Variant, which is about 1/2 the price over here in the US.

I was silently enthusiastic with the new textured paper they have produced as well, and while I don't doubt that it's a fantastic product, like everything else Ilford, it's just not something I can justify as an expense. If I used Ilford paper exclusively, I would in fact be spending more money on photography than I do on groceries, clothes, and gasoline every month. I'm actually worried about the future of silver gelatin photography as an art form; this scarcity of raw materials seems to be a much bigger threat than digital ever was to film based photography and darkroom work.

Good luck to all involved!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    What % of your household income goes to film/paper/chemistry/labs relative to: food? gas? utilities? healthcare/pharma? booze? tobacco? Perspective is everything.
    Well, since you ask, almost negligible at the moment, as I have two full freezers of sensitive materials, mainly Ilford, which, at present usage, should last me up to 10 years.

My contribution won't help one way or the other, but I'm more concerned about the long term survival of film production at prices affordable to the average guy and attractive to new users, not just the committed artists who will sell their house and starve in a a garret before they give up their art.

And I really do want Ilford to be around in 2021, if I still am and I still need to stock up again! To maintain an optimistic perspective, the news of Kodak cutting down might help Ilford.......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    To maintain an optimistic perspective, the news of Kodak cutting down might help Ilford.......
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...requestid=4919

I think you're right. Kodak increased profits in total Q1 of 2011, but analog based sales were down 14% year over year. Their core business is, and has been for some time, their digital business.

Yay for Ilford for keeping up with healthy balance sheets, the only good way to do business is to make a profit. It's a tough balance act, I think.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was going to ask if all Ilford paper was produced in England, but I read above that there is a production facility here? Not that it means anything as I don't think there is another manufacturer of paper in the country, is there? I guess overall, if you compare the cost of inkjet ink and paper (let alone chiropractic adjustments from sitting in front a monitor for so long) to the cost of Ilford paper, it must still be cheaper to buy Ilford and to work in a darkroom. I don't know. Just saying.
    Another thought is how we have always spent our money on the cheap foreign items from other countries such as in SE Asia, but we never realized what effect it would have on our own economies. So we sit with how many out of work while corporations rake in billions from out of country production and our cash goes where? Probably not back into the loop to fund one's health insurance or retirement fund. Personally, I'd rather support our cousins in the Isle's. Their whole lifestyle cost is substantial beyond photography and I'd rather support them just as I would buy American goods first, even if I have to save to buy them.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Wayne Rider,
    All Ilford paper and film is produced at their plant at Mobberly in Chesire in England, and the chemicals are made for them by Tetenal in Germany, they do not produce any film/paper in the US, that is why a lot of folk in the UK are unhappy at paying more for the Ilford materials at home than you do in the US.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the price increase, I may be able to sell the 3 1/4" x4 1/4" Ilford film that I special ordered last year!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've been a fan of FP4+ and HP5+ for a while, but I've never really used (or tried) their paper. I mostly used Arista paper until recently until I switched to Slavich paper for enlarging (which I rarely do now) and Fomalux for contact printing. I'll support Ilford with my film purchases as long as they make it. And hell, I might even stick with FP5 and HP6 if that ever comes out in my lifetime

This thread reminded me of this picture, and my (for now) undying support for Ilford
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shutupandtakemymoney.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	35488
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Remember the good old days when fp4 and and hp5 were re-branded under the Arista brand? Oh those were the days. While I want to patronize Freestyle as much as possible, B&H has Ilford film cheaper. I recently received a shipment of 50 rolls of 120 Pan F+ and even with the shipping cost I figured I saved a little over $40. LA has a sales tax of just under 10%, among the highest in the nation so that adds up as well. Of course this amount went to picking up more Acros 100 which is currently cheaper at Freestyle. I doubt this quantity of film will last through June so I'm going to have to make another purchase before the price hike goes into effect. Given the fact that I really cannot cut back on necessities like rent, gas, and food, I suppose I can sell blood (Hey I'm a universal donor. Yay!) or on my days off walk around town with a "Will work for film" sign around my neck.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin