Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,111   Online: 1039

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Everything is increasing, price inflation is huge: fuel, food, energy, clothes. About 6 months' ago it became cheaper to take the train rather than pay for petrol in the car, now train prices have increased. Thank God I've got a bicycle for short journeys. I'm sure most people are only keeping afloat because mortgage repayments are currently very cheap because of low interest rates. Two beers per week is a luxury, I've given up meat. Luckily I print small (5x7) from 35mm negs so price increases tend to be easier to absorb compared to others who print very large.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An interesting point is size. EW averaged 7x9 plus a fraction. Paul Strand made an overwhelming number of small prints. Many others similarly made smaller sized prints. Technology at various times in history made for small and large image sizes. We may see smaller silver gelatin prints again if paper prices increase to an unacceptable level.

Film is another question. In the future only the most dedicated will be working in the medium. See what happened to the Dye Transfer medium. All the hoping, wishing, and money won't bring it back. Enjoy what's left and strive to make the best prints you are capable of.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Like most people here, film isn't really the issue for me either. It's definitely the price of paper that is killing my relationship with Ilford. I still use MGWT for my portraits, while everything else has been switched to Fomabrom Variant, which is about 1/2 the price over here in the US.
    Count your blessings! With Ilford prices here in the Netherlands already being twice that in the US, I sincerely hope this next price increase will not include the Netherlands, and Ilford finally finds a more affordable distribution channel to the Netherlands...

Just imagine one 10 sheet pack of 20x24 inch paper of standard (non warmtone) Ilford MGIV at a price tag of maybe 150,- Euro ($215,-) up from 106,- Euro ($152,-) current price in the Netherlands...

Well, maybe the real price increase will not be as dramatic as that, but with the current base price here in the Netherlands, even a 10% increase is a significant hit...

One screwed up print than sets you back enough to buy a meal at a cheap restaurant... or a bad night in a cheap hotel
    Last edited by Marco B; 05-30-2011 at 07:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Everything is increasing, price inflation is huge: fuel, food, energy, clothes. About 6 months' ago it became cheaper to take the train rather than pay for petrol in the car, now train prices have increased. Thank God I've got a bicycle for short journeys. I'm sure most people are only keeping afloat because mortgage repayments are currently very cheap because of low interest rates. Two beers per week is a luxury, I've given up meat. Luckily I print small (5x7) from 35mm negs so price increases tend to be easier to absorb compared to others who print very large.
    This is all very true for many in the UK....our friends in the US do not realise the HUGE difference in fuel prices alone, just as one example.

I know many pensioners in the UK, who are "asset-rich" in terms of a large house, which they no longer need but cannot sell at a reasonable price, yet "cash-poor" in money for everyday costs, to the extent that they are cutting down on hobbies and social activities....yet these are often some of the older people who are keeping
    analog alive and have the interest, time to and knowledge to encourage youngsters to try it.

And, at the other end of the age scale, younger people have family commitments, student loans to repay and houses to buy (average age of first-time buyers in their mid-30's)....where can high-cost hobbies come into this?

Shooter
    Multi Format

It Just Gets Worse..

Here,in Kiwiland,at least..
    We have long paid well over the odds for Ilford product,and I posted about this some time ago,but now it appears the two local distributors are prepared to ignore the fact they actually have any product - a search of both websites reveals not a single reference to any Harmon paper product,unless it is designed for Inkjet use.
    Even reliable resellers no longer list Ilford papers ,suggesting that you email for current prices and availability.
    Some sample prices though :based on high NZ$ versus US$ :
    FP4/120 :US$9.84....HP5/120 :US$10.25....Delta100/120 :US$11.48

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Perhaps I should order more film?

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Just imagine one 10 sheet pack of 20x24 inch paper of standard (non warmtone) Ilford MGIV at a price tag of maybe 150,- Euro ($215,-) up from 106,- Euro ($152,-) current price in the Netherlands...
    I think it is the same distributor for Germany and these prices are just insane. And that is the reason why I order my paper in the UK. There you can order 10 sheets of MG IV FB for around 70 Euros, add 20 Euros for shipping and you still save money with just one pack of 10 sheets. Now add some more paper to you order.

Cheers
    Ruediger
    Do or do not. There's no try. (Yoda)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm a retailer in Canada for Ilford products. I haven't heard of any price changes from the official distributor. If I'll do I'll make a posting right away.
    -Rob Skeoch
    Rob Skeoch
    This is my blog http://thepicturedesk.blogspot.com/
    This my website for photo supplies...
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com
    This is my website for Rangfinder gear
    www.rangefinderstore.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For those not in the U.K. Monday (today) is a public Bank Holiday although I do not dpeak on behalf of Ilford it may be unlikely to expect a reply from Ilford (Simon Galley) until normal working hours are resumed tomorrow.

Hoping that there won't be an increase, again, but fearful nonetheless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "Will work for film" sign
    That's a great idea, that is now my plan B.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin