Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,720   Posts: 1,483,130   Online: 1245

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Marco, try AGPhotographic in the U.K. for your paper. It is about the best source I have found.

Sim2 I hope you are right but I cannot see how no increase is reconcilable with the announcement in the Harman Express News unless the price rise only affects ordering from Harman Express.

From my examination of Harman Express and even without any increase in price, ordering direct from Harman Express results in paying higher prices thancharged by most of the worthwhile retailers such as Silverprint and AgPhotograhic.

So as long as there is no increase in prices charged by Ilford to their retailers then crisis over except for Harman Express itself as the increase will make it even more uncompetitive.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Marco, try these people for your paper and other supplies http://firstcall-photogtraphic.co.uk
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Pextaxuser,
    Can't remember the exact wording but there is something on the Harman express website that leads me to hope that it might only be the Harman express that is increasing prices,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad that I'm in the US and can finally afford photography. If these prices, even adjusted for inflation, had been the case in my high school and college days when I was really getting into photography, or in the late 90s when I became interested again and got into large format, I couldn't have afforded it, or at least could have done a lot less of it. (At least, with Ilford paper - the east European stuff and even re-branded Arista Harman doesn't seem too bad to me now when I run it backwards through an inflation calculator - about what I was paying back then actually.) Now I have more money and far less time, with the result that I can afford to do all the photography I have time for, which isn't enough.

I am of somewhat mixed mind about this. On the one hand I understand, partly from past personal experience even though the materials were much cheaper then, how this sort of pricing can and will impact students and young adults who will be the ones that really need to become enthusiastic users if we're to keep traditional photography alive. On the other hand, "expensive hobby" is a pretty relative term. After learning to fly (see avatar...) photography and pretty much all my other hobbies still seem downright cheap. But then on the third hand, there's the time limitations that go with having a career, girlfriend, being a homeowner now etc. I literally don't have time to use enough materials for price to be a problem. Someone above saying if they used Ilford they'd be spending more on materials than on all their other bills was a bit shocking (unless that poster is a professional, maybe.) There's no way I could do that. In fact I don't think I could use that many materials if I just had my paycheck handed to me without having to put in my 40+ per week to earn it, what with all my other interests and obligations. I have other hobbies, for one thing.

Prices elsewhere, well - UK prices are a bit insane by US standards and other places are beyond that. At the prices quoted for the Netherlands I might just go rent airplanes (or buy a share of one) and fly more instead!

Another point - someone compared the price of darkroom paper and chemicals to ink and inkjet paper, but that's not fair if doing a direct comparison. Once a digital process is calibrated you needn't make a print until the image is the way you want it on the monitor. Even if you decide to tweak a bit more, two sheets would be about the most you'd use (or at least that I have when I've dabbled with such.) In the darkroom I will always go through several, sometimes as many as 10 or more, sheets of paper before I have a final print. There are some things you can do to save here. I usually make smaller work prints than the final print (use either the Kodak calculator wheel in the Darkroom Dataguide or a simple formula for such to convert to equivalent exposures when changing print size) for one, but it still takes more sheets per final print in my experience. I rather enjoy this process and seeing the image come along at different stages, but it does add to the cost.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    At the prices quoted for the Netherlands I might just go rent airplanes (or buy a share of one)
    Just some Dutch internet prices:

ILFORD Delta 3200 Pro 135-36 1-stuks €8,50

ILFORD Pan F Plus 135-36 1-stuks €6,38

Source: Fotoworld.nl

I saw that Foma and Efke also rised their prices but it was around 10%.
    For one Pan F I can almost buy three Efke 25 films in Holland. And for one D3200 almost four RPX 400 films.
    Calculating back that a month salary in Ukraine is about US$ 200,00 this is going to be a mission impossible
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Prices elsewhere, well - UK prices are a bit insane by US standards and other places are beyond that. At the prices quoted for the Netherlands I might just go rent airplanes (or buy a share of one) and fly more instead!
    Maybe we should strike a deal: I pay you to fly my orders to the Netherlands, and you buy the stuff at US prices for me...

With current prices in the Netherlands, I guess I'd still save money

Guess I need to start digging in my backyard to make room for a landing strip...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Besides the fact the planes I fly don't have anywhere near trans Atlantic range the price differences, large as they are, are not THAT large.

I know from aviation forums what private flying costs in Europe and I couldn't afford it there either. About 2.5-3 times or more what it costs here but in that case the difference is mostly fuel and government fees.

Everything costs more there it seems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Yes we have a price increase on June 1st, Worldwide.

This is obviously deeply regrettable and we do not take increasing our prices lightly. Obviously it ultimately affect volume. You have all seen the rise in the price of silver, we put up prices on February 1st 2011 calculatedv and based on silver prices on December 24th 2010 ( $ 28.00 per troy ounce ) since then we have bought silver at anywhere between $ 28.00 and $ 48.00 so everything we have manufactured and put into stock since December 24th has been at a much higher raw material price, we cannot absorb that level of increase and we must increase prices. We have done everything in our power to mitigate the increase, including even more stringent cost control, as part of these measures we also had to take the decision to reduce our workforce by 58 which is about 20.00% otherwise our price increase would have had to be much higher, this is a real human cost for the speculation in silver.

The almost unprecedented ( it has happened once before Bunker / Hunt ) speculation in silver damages all people who need to buy it and use to make things, and of course those who buy products containing silver.

We can only hope silver reduces significantly from its current level ( $ 38.00 ).

Our philosophy remains the same, we continue to make all products, none will be deleted and we will remain totally committed to producing the widest range of monochrome film, paper ( including the new ART 300 ) and chemistry, from any manufacturer, anywhere.

We thank all our customers who use and value ILFORD Photo products.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Will we see prices drop if silver somehow returns to $10/ounce?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes you would.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin