Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,521   Online: 1021

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear All,

Yes we have a price increase on June 1st, Worldwide.

This is obviously deeply regrettable and we do not take increasing our prices lightly. Obviously it ultimately affect volume. You have all seen the rise in the price of silver, we put up prices on February 1st 2011 calculatedv and based on silver prices on December 24th 2010 ( $ 28.00 per troy ounce ) since then we have bought silver at anywhere between $ 28.00 and $ 48.00 so everything we have manufactured and put into stock since December 24th has been at a much higher raw material price, we cannot absorb that level of increase and we must increase prices. We have done everything in our power to mitigate the increase, including even more stringent cost control, as part of these measures we also had to take the decision to reduce our workforce by 58 which is about 20.00% otherwise our price increase would have had to be much higher, this is a real human cost for the speculation in silver.

The almost unprecedented ( it has happened once before Bunker / Hunt ) speculation in silver damages all people who need to buy it and use to make things, and of course those who buy products containing silver.

We can only hope silver reduces significantly from its current level ( $ 38.00 ).

Our philosophy remains the same, we continue to make all products, none will be deleted and we will remain totally committed to producing the widest range of monochrome film, paper ( including the new ART 300 ) and chemistry, from any manufacturer, anywhere.

We thank all our customers who use and value ILFORD Photo products.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Thanks Simon for taking the time to explain to customers - another example of Ilford's committment to the long-term future of traditional photography.

I love Ilford products and intend to continue supporting a company which has been loyal to traditional photography through good and bad times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How i wish for 02 prices!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Dear All,

. . . . as part of these measures we also had to take the decision to reduce our workforce by 58 which is about 20.00% otherwise our price increase would have had to be much higher. . . . :
    I'm sorry to hear about the loss of jobs, which is not good news for anyone. With any luck the price of silver will come down over time and stabilize. Fingers crossed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Jawarden. Appreciated.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear J Rollinger......its quite some graph is it not?

When HARMAN technology was formed 6 years ago I can distinctly remember we were paying $ 7.25 per ounce for silver.

We are now paying over 5 times that amount, as are all photo manufacturers of course.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bottom line: what percent increase?
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have done everything in our power to mitigate the increase, including even more stringent cost control, as part of these measures we also had to take the decision to reduce our workforce by 58 which is about 20.00% otherwise our price increase would have had to be much higher, this is a real human cost for the speculation in silver.
    The loss in jobs due to the silver speculation is very sad to hear, especially in the light of some people outside of the analog photography industry obviously making huge profits trading the raw silver. It is a real shame the industry has to take such a hit in already precarious times. I hope though, that Ilford will also be able to breach the profit devouring vortex inbetween the Netherlands and some other countries, and the UK. If I spend my money on Ilford products, I want it to end up with Ilford, and not in some all consuming black hole...
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    How i wish for 02 prices!
    FWIW, the highest price ever for silver seems to have been $49.45 on 18th Jan 1980, in the speculation at that time. So we're within range of that period.

Very sorry to hear of the job losses...it's wrong that speculators (who've probably hardly ever heard of photographic film, and care even less) can cause this sort of problem for ordinary folk's lives. I had the pleasure of going on one of the Ilford factory tours a few years ago, and you couldn't have found anywhere a nicer and more dedicated bunch of people as their staff.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ilford's loyal to us, we need to be loyal to Ilford.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too cringe at the news of job losses at Ilford. It puts the silver problems into a really serious perspective to me, and I will commit to trying to find ways to continue using the product.

I think, like Colin, that loyalty is in order to reciprocate for the loyalty given to us.

I fear, though, that since the Western world has bred massive consumer markets in other parts of the world, the pressure on natural resources will just continue to increase. There are a billion folks in China, and a billion folks in India, and they want much of the same things we do in terms of material wealth, as destructive as it may be. Think about this every time you buy an iPad or a Kindle. The want for these things is what is affecting scarcity of what natural resources mother Nature is able to provide. Film and photographic paper are no exception.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin