Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,685   Online: 860

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If a loss of 58 people is 20% of the workforce then we are looking at about 290. I may be wrong but when on the first Harman tour in June 2006 I thought I had recalled a mention of a workforce figure of somewhere near 600. If I am right then this is a massive drop and very serious.

Maybe Harman can have no influence in the distributors' slice of the revenue pie but having seen some comments from our rest of Europe and rest of world neighbours on retail prices excluding the U.S. I cannot help but wonder if the distributors' slice isn't part of the problem.

At the end of the day distributor greed, if that's the problem, can and will rebound on Harman's revenue and future

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    FWIW, the highest price ever for silver seems to have been $49.45 on 18th Jan 1980, in the speculation at that time. So we're within range of that period.

Very sorry to hear of the job losses...it's wrong that speculators (who've probably hardly ever heard of photographic film, and care even less) can cause this sort of problem for ordinary folk's lives. I had the pleasure of going on one of the Ilford factory tours a few years ago, and you couldn't have found anywhere a nicer and more dedicated bunch of people as their staff.
    Not even remotely so when one considers inflation. $49.45 in 1980 is equivalent to a 2010 (most recent date with available data) price of $129.12:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ...we also had to take the decision to reduce our workforce by 58... this is a real human cost for the speculation in silver.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Will we see prices drop if silver somehow returns to $10/ounce?
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Yes you would.
    My personal preference in the event of a reduction in the price of raw silver would be to continue paying the higher price for finished Ilford products until after those 58 had been reemployed...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/n...at_Harman___s/

This was the local news, the personal stories behind the news are very sad. This is, working photographers obviously excepted, a "leisure/hobby not our life.

Having said that was this diversification the way to go?

http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/n...irm_expansion/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Maybe we all should be recovering our silver and sending it to Ilford?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Not even remotely so when one considers inflation. $49.45 in 1980 is equivalent to a 2010 (most recent date with available data) price of $129.12:

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
    I agree...I was just interested to see the highest ever figure, and your comparison is, of course, more meaningful. If the current price really did get up to $140-$150, I don't hold out much hope of photo materials being affordable for the average user.

Applying a similar inflation index to my own actual disposable income in 1980, I see that, on paper, I'm slightly "better-off" now than I was then, yet it's only in the last couple of years that I've began to feel that photographic materials were sudddenly becoming alarmingly expensive? This is probably just subjective, but it would be interesting to know the price of Ilford films in 1980.....I'd guess that the 1980's were a time when consumer products seemed most affordable. Just thinking aloud.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livsey;1188861Having said that was this diversification the way to go?

[url
    http://www.knutsfordguardian.co.uk/news/8984464.Deal_paves_the_way_for_firm_expansion/[/url]
    Hasn't silver been known and used as a bactericide for many years? I have sportwear, socks and shoes, "containing silver for freshness", which are at least four or five years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    Maybe we all should be recovering our silver and sending it to Ilford?
    Not a bad idea. I wonder how much of a ding it would make, but it certainly couldn't hurt! We have an advertiser here on APUG, John Nanian, selling silver recovery gadgets... Maybe we can help two sponsors at once!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With cost of everything going up, it isn't that surprising that cost of paper will have to go up as well. Every price increase hurts me as well but I also realize, paper cost is a small part of my over-all photographic expense. I'd rather see two price increase than one big one to cover both. Or worse, what could likely be the last company remaining to go into financial strain and hurts availability in long run.

I'm going to stick with Ilford for my paper needs.

Simon - can I get some discount for this pep talk?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    "Hasn't silver been known and used as a bactericide for many years?"

It has indeed been widely used for many years but as with many "historical" practices/drugs not subjected to rigorous examination, what is referred to as "evidenced based practice" has re-examined many areas assumed to work but found when investigated throughly to be lacking in evidence.
    This was published: http://www.nelm.nhs.uk/en/NeLM-Area/...ver-dressings/
    in 2010 and perhaps Harmman should have read it.

In summary the only area of clinical use that could be justified on the evidence was in burns and even there "the evidence base is weak". Given the silver price increase must work through here as well it is unlikely, unless new evidence is presented, their use in the cash strapped NHS will increase in volume terms. The DTB is very influential as it is not funded by the industry.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin