Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,321   Online: 924

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ilford Price Increase June 1st 2011

Those of us in the U.K. who receive the Harman Express News e-mail have just received the following announcement:

"Customer Notice: Due to the rise in the cost of raw materials and manufacturing( in particular the big rise in the cost of silver) it will be necessary to increase the price of some of our products. On 1st June there will be an increase in the price of ILFORD PHOTO, Kentmere Photo, black and white film and papers and HARMAN Direct Positive papers."

No more details given

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    bad times.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

shoots.

Just as long as they keep making it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dang, again??? The rise in fuel costs won't help getting the stuff across the pond, either.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bummer, good thing my big order of kentmere paper is going through right before that, and remaining stocks will stay at the lower prices for awhile im sure as well at the big stores.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    As there appear to be no announcements on the main Ilford website, and apart from the news in the Email,which I also recieved, which is primarily aimed at the UK market, it makes me wonder if this is aimed at the UK market, possibly Europe, and maybe the USA will be exempt, as the amount of the rise is currently not known, information is sketchy, we will have to await further anouncements, but for me Ilford products is starting to look very expensive, and like others I find other products from the likes of Foma/adox/efke Etc much more appealing,
    Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    As there appear to be no announcements on the main Ilford website, and apart from the news in the Email,which I also recieved, which is primarily aimed at the UK market, it makes me wonder if this is aimed at the UK market, possibly Europe, and maybe the USA will be exempt, as the amount of the rise is currently not known, information is sketchy, we will have to await further anouncements, Richard
    Does the Harman Express News which we in the U.K receive as an e-mail only go to U.K. customers and not cover any other customers outside the U.K.? Even if it only covers U.K. customers then given the reasons as quoted for the increase, I wonder on what grounds any market outside the U.K. could be exempt from the price increase?

Look s like it is "watch this space" until Ilford announces something here and/or we get to know some info on specific increases and to whom they will apply.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    As there appear to be no announcements on the main Ilford website, and apart from the news in the Email,which I also recieved, which is primarily aimed at the UK market, it makes me wonder if this is aimed at the UK market, possibly Europe, and maybe the USA will be exempt, as the amount of the rise is currently not known, information is sketchy, we will have to await further anouncements, but for me Ilford products is starting to look very expensive, and like others I find other products from the likes of Foma/adox/efke Etc much more appealing,
    Richard
    No-one is a bigger Ilford fan than myself, but, as you say, the products are now looking very expensive, especially if this further price increase proves significant.

It is elementary economics that , with any consumer products, not just photographic, ongoing price increases will, eventually, be counterproductive and affect the volume of sales, especially at a time of recession and economies and in a decliming market, as customers move to cheaper options, use less, or even postpone purchases altogether.

As an example, check out the UK Royal Mail...every postage increase reduces their sales by volume, as people and businesses turn to other suppliers or electronic alternatives in the form of email, text, etc. Photographers likewise will turn to
    other suppliers or restrict their picture taking.....and some may even take the electronic option.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Irreplaceable in the 'silver' gelatin process, it's unavoidable. Harman can't keep eating the increased cost of raw material. The economics of it is unfortunate, but all of us will have to learn how to deal with it.
    I am currently re-printing a ton of old negatives, and some of them on Ilford Warmtone paper. It's hard to justify the expense for me. Very very hard. Every time I order more 11x14 fiber paper, and pay 3 dollars per sheet, I look in the mirror and think I must be insane. And I only order one box at a time. It's all that I can afford. A box lasts me a couple of months, so I'm spending a thousand dollars a year on Ilford paper. This is petty cash compared to many other silver printers. I doubt someone like Bob Carnie spends less than that in one day of printing silver gelatin.

I'm not asking Mr Galley of Harman to defend their pricing; I understand why it is as it is. All I'm saying is that I don't know how long I can keep it up. There will be a time, shortly, where I can't afford this passion anymore, and that saddens me to no end. I'm sure there are others in my situation.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Thomas,
    I am being forced to look at alternatives to Ilford products, and with another price rise I will have to look harder, at least for the moment there are alternatives out there, such as the Adox, Foma,and Fotospeed papers, all very good, also film, we have Adox foma and Kodak, but Harman has priced themselves out out my market, and his after a lifetime of using Ilford products, and this makes me sad, but I am still taking photos,and printing photos, and life must go on,but what I dont get,over this side of the pond, is why I can get nearly 3 boxes of Fotospeed printing paper for the price of 1 of Ilford, yet the Fotospeed paper is made for Fotospeed by Harman,
    Richard

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin