Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,137   Online: 869

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In answer to the above two posts, IDK what is coated where anymore so IDK what will be affected. Since no changes in the product lineup have been announced, we may have to wait to see if there is any change or not. It may be that the result is greater efficiency and/or lower costs.

Kodak is coating on 3 machines in addition to the one being shut down. One here, one at Harrow and one in Colorado. The two outside Rochester coat paper. All 4 machines in use presently, probably coat at up to 3x the speed of any other machine at any other company. So, production capacity remains high.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a silent thought that perhaps the consolidation of the Portra films had something to do with terminating use of one of their coating plants? With fewer SKUs it's easier to manage the work flow with a single line as opposed to two.
    Somehow I am forced to think along the lines that Kodak needs to do this consolidation in order to attempt bringing back some form of profit from their analog business, or at least to stop the bleeding. Except for the workers involved, whom I hope can find other sources of employment within Kodak's expanding digital business, it could be a good thing. At least I hope so. They simply cannot stay in the analog business at all if they continue eating profits out of the company like they are today.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    Sad day, but I suppose it is a reflection of the times we live in, but at least 1 building is still producing film,
    Richard
    My thoughts too. Can't stop progress. They made the best of the best, and I always thought Kodak had the best customer service/relations of any company.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any thought that Fuji is interested in remaining in the business and perhaps pick up emulsions from Kodak is, I'm afraid, sadly misplaced. All they do is discontinue films, sow confusion as to what they make/distribute where, act generally incompetently.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    As for KNOWING absolutely, well, I live in Rochester. Things do get around when many neighbors work (or worked) at Kodak. This event has been a rumor for months with expected layoffs, but the date was just finalized recently I guess. We will have facts to present to you in published literature as soon as it becomes available.
    PE
    Then the news seems credible indeed. Forgive me, but there have been some rumours over the last few years of products being discontinued that turned out to be wrong or half-wrong. Fortunately this is not a product being scrapped, only a facility

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad that Kodak is doing this and not going the way of, say, Polaroid. I think the general consensus around the internet is that the market for film has either stabilized or is starting to grow somewhat. The problem is that Kodak is/was so unbelievably huge before the popularity of the digital camera that they're still having trouble adjusting.

I do know that Ektar 100 and Portra 400 are two fantastic films, and I'm looking forward to buying some Portra 160.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Do what I did, I bought $500 more of Tri x sheets to add to my stash when I saw this thread....a big sales increase would do a lot to keep them going!!!..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    at this point I would love for the market to just get it over with. If fuji or kodak pulls out of film entirely it would be a shame but it would allow the remaining player to be much stronger, and they could focus on there entire line up. For black and white there has never been anything to worry about with ilford, efke, foma, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speak for yourself. Without Kodak, there is only Ilford for me. I have zero interest in Efke, Foma and all the other companies making crap quality, throwback-technology film.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Speak for yourself. Without Kodak, there is only Ilford for me. I have zero interest in Efke, Foma and all the other companies making crap quality, throwback-technology film.
    Totally agree. Kodak's withdrawl would mean game over. Unlike Ilford, these tiny companies lack the research and marketing chops to be effective players. The first and last time I used Chinese-made "Lucky" 120 b&w, it jammed in my Mamiya RB67 back and just concertina-ed up. A world without TMY-2? Half-baked, "walking dead" versions of Agfa APX just don't cut it. Be very careful what you wish for.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin