Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,715   Posts: 1,514,763   Online: 817

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Film-Niko View Post
    [...]
    Because they do an very effective marketing, and do a great job in encouraging people to use film.
    Not like lots of apuggers here, which definitely discourage new users to use film by all their permanent doom and gloom and sky is falling praying.

Do you want to join a club which is permanently debating it's own closure? Of course not!
    You will go on and join a club with a positive outlook.

That is what Lomo do: Their slogan is "the future is analogue". They have a positive outlook, that is attractive for young people.
    Lomo know very well that economics is 50% psychology. If people believe in the future of a system, they will buy.
    Words of wisdom.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=alapin;1188707]Check out this article I found today on the net.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...D9NHUNV00.html

Something that jumped right out:

"George Eastman transformed photography from an arcane hobby into a mass commodity with his $1 Brownie in 1900"

Unless my sense of it's history is way off, wasn't photography still largely business at that point? Though I suppose it could be seen as a hobby with the well off "early adopters" of the original Kodak roll camera and amateur artists.
    Last edited by C A Sugg; 06-10-2011 at 06:00 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: tense change

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Film-Niko View Post
    They are not only going to India in the next months. Some days ago they have opened a new shop in Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Next they will go to the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Suisse, Turkey, Mexico, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines.
    And will extend their operations by openning new shops in USA, England, Germany, France, China.
    Lomo it not a fad. This movement is 20 years old. And still rapidly growing.
    Because they do an very effective marketing, and do a great job in encouraging people to use film.
    Not like lots of apuggers here, which definitely discourage new users to use film by all their permanent doom and gloom and sky is falling praying.

Do you want to join a club which is permanently debating it's own closure? Of course not!
    You will go on and join a club with a positive outlook.

That is what Lomo do: Their slogan is "the future is analogue". They have a positive outlook, that is attractive for young people.
    Lomo know very well that economics is 50% psychology. If people believe in the future of a system, they will buy.
    It's a nano-trend. I don't think the Lomo fad is exactly an engine of macro-economic growth anywhere by hiring a few people in large cities around the planet--their site listings for work aren't exactly brimming with opportunity. Lomography is simply an attempt to "brand" film photography. As I've said elsewhere, I've met Diana-totting trendoids who had no idea 120 film fit anything available outside a Lomo emporium. I'm enthusiastic about film and work to promote it in my community but I'm not delusional. What's the point of these splenetic rages here and elsewhere on the site, particularly your latest against dr5? It's neither productive or indicative of a realistic understanding of the industry in 2011.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think film will vanish altogether. The availability will be rare and the types of film may decrease like Kodak combining nc and vc etc, but film will be available, like vinyl records still exist and like manual cars still exist.
    It is just not going to be the most popular way of creating photographs like it is not today.
    But that is all the best for us. There will be digital image creators and photographers. Film photography will become even more of an art form, a more exclusive way of creating images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    who cares how long they will keep making film
    for the average person chemical based photography is just about dead ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    This has probably been addressed before but I wonder if in end sheet film will outlast roll film. I could be happy with only 4x5 and 8x10 sheets.
    Dennis

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    there were no film manufacturers, it would represent a large gap in the market which someone would fill.
    100% absolutely correct.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ...People kvetch now about rising film/paper prices. I'm thinking your future won't be much fun--or affordable.
    There's all kind of hobbies and niche markets that are a lot more expensive than analog photography. Amateur radio comes to mind, but there are plenty of other examples. I'll bet that I could keep myself in photography for the rest of my natural life for the cost of one new (digital!) middle-of-the-road HF transceiver, and they have no problem selling them all over the world. The only difference being those manufacturers aren't set up to build their products in the millions.

Ever think about what it costs to maintain a horse? There's no shortage in the market for horses, including the buggy whips. For what it costs to actively be in the horse hobby for two or three years with one horse you could probably buy any camera you ever wanted and have enough change to keep that camera loaded with film forever.

People have money for anything for which they want to have money.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    and like manual cars still exist.
    Over here (and probably the rest of the world) manual cars probably make up at least 90% of the total.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    There's all kind of hobbies and niche markets that are a lot more expensive than analog photography. Amateur radio comes to mind
    Amateur radio can be almost free as transmitters and receivers can be made from a few valves and other bits and pieces electronics hobbyists have in their spare parts drawers/cupboards. My grandfather made a superb superhet, multi band receiver with military 'spares' he brought home after the war and used a variety of self made single valve transmitters..... Or you can buy ready made equipment and spend a fortune.

Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin