Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,988   Online: 984

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk
    A digital file that cannot be directly seen by man will never replace a pice of film which you can always see. It is more tangible and it never stops existing. There is no way that the file cannot be played anymore, there is no need to transfer them to your new hard drive or make them updated for the new technologies to come. With film you can always scan it when you need it.
    And on the Voyager ships are gold records, but no MP3s.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    And on the Voyager ships are gold records, but no MP3s.
    Or turntables. I never understood that...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ken
    maybe any aliens it runs into will have figured out the technology behind the physical existence of a soundwave recorded onto a rotating medium?

in reply to OP: i thought this forum board stated this is not a place for rumors or speculation?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post

Ken
    I think there is a schematic representation of one.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chew on this for a minute:

Kodak just released two new films, Porta 160 and Porta 400. These films aren't just available in 35 and 120, the two most popular formats, but also in 4x5 and 8x10.

If Kodak finds it worth their time to make master rolls for 4x5 and 8x10, I don't have any worries that 35 or 120 are going away any time soon.

The biggest fear for these companies is digital cameras. Those are dropping faster than film is these days, besides the fact there are so many choices there's no profit to be made. People are dumping digital cameras (not SLRs; point and shoots) for SLRs and cameraphones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Discoman View Post
    maybe any aliens it runs into will have figured out the technology behind the physical existence of a soundwave recorded onto a rotating medium?

in reply to OP: i thought this forum board stated this is not a place for rumors or speculation?
    Or, the aliens' music consists of a really energetic sort of hip-hop rapper style, and they'll shred the disc on their turntable... then maybe they'll think we man-apes are pretty cool after all?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Perspective:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fisher-price.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    Perspective:
    I just found mine. Couldn't bear to give it away...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brofkand View Post
    ...Kodak just released two new films, Porta 160 and Porta 400. These films aren't just available in 35 and 120, the two most popular formats, but also in 4x5 and 8x10...
    Also in 5x7.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Film-Niko View Post
    They are not only going to India in the next months. Some days ago they have opened a new shop in Johannesburg, South Africa.
    Next they will go to the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Suisse, Turkey, Mexico, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines.
    And will extend their operations by openning new shops in USA, England, Germany, France, China.
    Lomo it not a fad. This movement is 20 years old. And still rapidly growing.
    Because they do an very effective marketing, and do a great job in encouraging people to use film.
    Not like lots of apuggers here, which definitely discourage new users to use film by all their permanent doom and gloom and sky is falling praying.

Do you want to join a club which is permanently debating it's own closure? Of course not!
    You will go on and join a club with a positive outlook.

That is what Lomo do: Their slogan is "the future is analogue". They have a positive outlook, that is attractive for young people.
    Lomo know very well that economics is 50% psychology. If people believe in the future of a system, they will buy.
    Good to know Lomo is spreading the F word
    I'm all for film so don't mind if it takes Lomo or Kodak or Fuji to bring it back.

I've been waiting to buy a Lomo too. I in fact tried to get one with my F80, but for some weird reasons, couldn't.

Now that they're coming to India, I'm hoping to just walk into a store and get one, as opposed to ordering and paying huge shipping charges and waiting for weeks.

It's kinda hard to call Lomo a fad when we're still buying essentially the same denim in various shades of blue, even with pre-faded and torn/worn looks

Cheers,
    Som

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin