Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,327   Online: 941

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    vpwphoto

No, I'm not a venture capitalist expert. Not every single person shoots b&w film, there are a great many who shoot both (me being one) and many who shoots color only. If Kodak decides to sell or close it's door then the available color film must come from these three company Fuji, Rollei, and Lomography. I not really such how much longer Fuji will continue to stay in the film business. Those using color only that don't want to move to b&w or use one the other companies, will either move to the dark side or stop shooting all together, anyway the number of people using film will likely be reduced making this more likely a niche market sooner.

APUG with its 50,000 + members is only a small number of peoples who buy film. Kodak sell color as well as b&w. So it likely that color film is one reason for them to be in business as well as b&w. With a major player like Kodak out of the market, the price of film may start to rise causing more people to leave film. My hope is that a good company would see a need and fill it. There are not to many of them left.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coen View Post
    Dodgy English i know. I'm Dutch, and making an educated guess my English is still better than your Hollands.
    Probably (or definitely). You Dutch people seem to use English as much as your own language even when talking amongst yourselves!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 05-31-2011 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Coudn't even spell my own name properly!
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here in the UK, black & white film (as well as papers and chemistry) seem to be selling reasonably well and there are reports that sales have been increasing over recent times. It appears there are students who are interested in learning about traditional photography, which is great. I'm not sure about colour to be honest, but personally I only shoot in black & white these days anyway.

There was an article a couple of days ago in The Telegraph about this very subject:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...come-back.html
    Carl.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently threw away my multi-blade plastic cartridge razor and bought a double edged razor (my face still thanks me and so does my wallet). In the process of learning how to shave with the new razor I looked on some forums for tips and advice. What I did find were a few threads about when double edged razor blades will be discontinued. A lot of worry on the threads as most people now use plastic cartridge razors so how long can traditional blades hold on? Perhaps it's human nature to worry about the unknown, but at least film photographers are not alone.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by faustotesta View Post
    I'm not a business expert.
    But some sentences i heard from a old photographer in Rome (owner of a photo-shop) made me think film will
    still be around for a while.
    Here they are: "around the globe there are companies producing 620 films. Do you think they would keep coating this stuff if they weren't profitable ? If 620 is still profitable this means that 35 and 120 will be around for a very long time" I do hope his prediction is correct.
    As far as i'm concerned i'll keep shooting film (35 and 120). I hope, should kodak give up film production, someone out there gets its business.
    Should color film die i'll only shoot BW hoping that foma,efke,bergger,adox and all these "niche" companies keep film alive.
    Um.. 620 and 120 are the same film. Only difference is the spool its wound on. Film sales are slowly picking up, as more young folks are discovering film. Older shooters are returning to film as well. The only real obstacle to film production is environmental issues. Third world countries are ideal places to manufacture film, as they desire jobs and are willing to neglect the environment to secure employment for the population.

I could go on more about the issue, but I think I've said enough.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The way I feel right now I'll be long dead when flilm passes away!

Jeff

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great, another thread to wail that the sky is falling.

We don't get enough of those.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edp View Post
    Great, another thread to wail that the sky is falling.

We don't get enough of those.
    Hear Hear, I am getting sick and tired of the doom and gloom type threads, Lets all just keep using film, and enjoying it, and celebrate the fact that that we still can,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What? The sky is falling?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It fell already. It's under your feet now. You didn't know that?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin