Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,158   Online: 1067

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you don't like them, don't read them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R gould View Post
    Hear Hear, I am getting sick and tired of the doom and gloom type threads, Lets all just keep using film, and enjoying it, and celebrate the fact that that we still can,
    Richard
    Indeed, let's use and enjoy our film while we can....

But most people here care passionately about the analog side of photography, and the
    regular string of actual bad news items about film product discontinuances, factory closures, redundancies and price rises are bound to cause worry and speculation. The "doom-and-gloom" threads are fairly easy to spot from the thread title for anyone who feels more comfortable to ignore them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Coen View Post
    Dodgy English i know. I'm Dutch, and making an educated guess my English is still better than your Hollands.
    Your English is very good, I had no problem with your post.

BTW, the two languages are closely related perhaps more so than English and german.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    My take on the matter...don't worry, be happy. You got film today, buy more, shoot more, enjoy life and family.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Ilford will be around for a while as they have already scaled their operations to adjust to the new reality. I think the death knell for Kodak's film business will be when a critical mass of movie theaters convert to digital projection and film is no longer needed for movie distribution. A whole lot of film manufacturing capacity goes into making distribution stock for the movie business. Take that out of the equation, and all you have left is a couple hundred thousand enthusiasts like ourselves as the market. I think Ilford can live on that, since that is essentially their market today. I'm not so sure about Kodak.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    Third world countries are ideal places to manufacture film, as they desire jobs and are willing to neglect the environment to secure employment for the population.
    So, USA, UK, Germany, Belgium,Czech Republic, Croatia, Japan and China are third world countries? Are there any other countries where film is made (not packaged, actually manufactured, as you mentioned)?

It can be a clean, chemical-manufacturing process and does not need to be dumbed down to "oooo, chemicals are nasty".

I think there will be a continuing reduction in colour-film use, but black-and-white film seems just about 'different' enough to survive. The problem for Kodak (and Fuji) is a lot of their production is for movie prints, with much of the rest being colour films for stills, and those markets are looking a bit fragile right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just get tired of all "oh Ilford should buy Kodak" or this should buy that and this and the
    "I want Kodachrome back whiners" Truth be told this has been happening for decades and most of the extinct products are extinct because of utter lack of demand or the advent of a superior or more economically effective product.

I am a car nut too, and people on those sights say oh if only Studebaker, or Packard (Packard was almost revived a decade ago) etc etc. Fact of the matter is if Packard or even Duesenburg returned it would be mostly in name only and all the "oh please" let it be types wouldn't have the money or the balls to buy one.
    I say let the market rule, and it will sort it's self out.

I used to use 20 rolls of Kodachrome a month, I moved on to Ektachrome and Fujichrome in the 1990's when Kodachrome just didn't have the look people wanted and when processing started to take a week instead of an overnight trip to Findlay Ohio.

A relative asked me if I cried for Kodachrome's death... I said no, it was dead to me since 1993.

Folks here at APUG recently "wishing for Ektachrome Infra-Red film", probably don't realize it was a $42 (I tried to order some and I think there was a 10 roll minimum order) a roll product back in 1982. If they made it and asked say $65-$70 a roll, I bet most of these "wishers" would run and hide.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 05-31-2011 at 04:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alapin View Post
    Check out this article I found today on the net.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...D9NHUNV00.html

If they are right about Kodak selling, maybe Ilford could buy it. That would be great.
    "How long can film photography last ?", It's one of those questions like "have you stopped beating your wife yet?", in order to answer the question you have to accept the basic premise.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-31-2011 at 04:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As long as we will buy enough of it, someone will make it.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin