Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,266   Online: 853
      
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 123
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,021
    Images
    4
    How much longer can it hold on? We would all love to know...and we will probably see some day! In the meantime, enjoy the hell out of it while it lasts.
    2F/2F

    "Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

    - Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

  2. #32
    zsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,962
    Images
    74
    Well said 2F. Hope we don't see the end of the line, regardless, like you say, the end is not now anyway - so photograph away my friends!

  3. #33
    dpurdy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Portland OR USA
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,057
    Images
    38
    I know one thing, it isn't getting any cheaper. I bought a used freezer off Craigs list and keep buying in as large a bulk as I can. I think I am near lifetime supply now since I am late 50s. I am stocked up on 8x10, 4x5 and 120 film and the money I have saved from avoiding price increases has already paid for the freezer and utility bill about 6 times over. When the Ilford news hit here a couple days ago I immediately when to B&H and bought another 200 sheets 4x5 FP4. When the APX 100 was discontinued I went directly down to the local store and bought 100 rolls. Investing in film has been a great investment over just buying a little at a time.
    Dennis

  4. #34
    Aristophanes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    505
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I know one thing, it isn't getting any cheaper. I bought a used freezer off Craigs list and keep buying in as large a bulk as I can. I think I am near lifetime supply now since I am late 50s. I am stocked up on 8x10, 4x5 and 120 film and the money I have saved from avoiding price increases has already paid for the freezer and utility bill about 6 times over. When the Ilford news hit here a couple days ago I immediately when to B&H and bought another 200 sheets 4x5 FP4. When the APX 100 was discontinued I went directly down to the local store and bought 100 rolls. Investing in film has been a great investment over just buying a little at a time.
    Dennis
    Someone is thinking like a venture capitalist!

    Or survivalist 

  5. #35
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I know one thing, it isn't getting any cheaper. I bought a used freezer off Craigs list and keep buying in as large a bulk as I can. I think I am near lifetime supply now since I am late 50s. I am stocked up on 8x10, 4x5 and 120 film and the money I have saved from avoiding price increases has already paid for the freezer and utility bill about 6 times over. When the Ilford news hit here a couple days ago I immediately when to B&H and bought another 200 sheets 4x5 FP4. When the APX 100 was discontinued I went directly down to the local store and bought 100 rolls. Investing in film has been a great investment over just buying a little at a time.
    Dennis
    Kodak and Ilford will be thrilled to hear about this.

    You need to review the definition of "investment." "Hoarding," too.

  6. #36
    RPippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Charlottesville Virginia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    277
    Images
    75
    In my short (64) years on this planet I've been able to observe two things that seem to happen with regularity. Both politics and trends follow a predictable pattern, that is to say the pendulum that swings in one direction will always come to a point and swing back the other way. Digital is still a new technology to those of us who were around when there were no cell phones, Ipads or personal computers. It also seems to me when I check online that there is still a great deal of film and choices for film around, probably more so than when I first started shooting film. One of the problems with the internet, as I see it, is that we get way to much information and every piece we get we have to react to. Rubbish, I say. At least at my age I can expect to shoot film till I can't anymore, but for the younger guys out there, just keep your eyes and ears open and see. Probably if you keep buying the stuff, someone will keep making it. Don't even get me started on politics. I look at every dollar I spend as a political statement.

  7. #37
    vpwphoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,109
    Blog Entries
    3
    Images
    7
    True that RPippin!
    Again I think hoarding and freezing might be prudent for the individual, but it could make a couple lean years too lean for a few manufacturers.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    True that RPippin!
    Again I think hoarding and freezing might be prudent for the individual, but it could make a couple lean years too lean for a few manufacturers.
    So which is best if a manufacturer is struggling? Assuming I can afford it, do I go out and buy 10 years supply of film today and freeze it, giving them income and profit now....or do I just buy one film a week for the next 10 years, if, of course, it's still available for that time?

    My understanding is that quantity discounts (even down to those on the small scale of three-for-two offers at the supermarket) are basically intended to get product out now, reduce handling costs, clear warehouse space and get cash in.

    And, if I feel that I've got a fair deal, maybe I'll be happy to use the film or other product more generously than it I have to scrimp and save to pay for every frame?

    Economics isn't a simple or exact science.......

  9. #39
    CGW
    CGW is offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by railwayman3 View Post
    So which is best if a manufacturer is struggling? Assuming I can afford it, do I go out and buy 10 years supply of film today and freeze it, giving them income and profit now....or do I just buy one film a week for the next 10 years, if, of course, it's still available for that time?

    My understanding is that quantity discounts (even down to those on the small scale of three-for-two offers at the supermarket) are basically intended to get product out now, reduce handling costs, clear warehouse space and get cash in.

    And, if I feel that I've got a fair deal, maybe I'll be happy to use the film or other product more generously than it I have to scrimp and save to pay for every frame?

    Economics isn't a simple or exact science.......
    Film sales have already cratered, so whatever you do isn't likely to have much impact.

  10. #40

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,565
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Film sales have already cratered, so whatever you do isn't likely to have much impact.
    Indeed, my tiny contribution is negligible one way or another. So I guess the answer is, (above all!) to buy, use and enjoy as much film as you need and can still afford, hoard if you can, and try not to worry.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin