Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,834   Posts: 1,582,394   Online: 906

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recall about 20 years ago people saying that Vinyl was dead and record players/turntables were obsolete. I can still buy NEW vinyl in Scotland (Naim) and Iceland (Sigur Ros's recordings are available as both CDs and Vinyl). Turntables are still being made, the best of which are from the UK (eg Avid, Michell), Germany (Clearaudio) & USA (VPI).

Film I suspect is a medium whose demise is equally often predicted and proved wrong.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    In the UK and probably much of Europe, cinemas are either privately owned or owned by smaller companies who could not and do not want to spend the hundreds of thousands of pounds or euros necessary to convert when the projectors they already own will do the job, especially when it could be obsolete in a few years when a higher quality system is available.
    Yet the UK has the second highest number digital screens in Europe, behind France, and Europe had the highest growth in digital screens in the world up to 2009 (all the figures are on the UK Film Council website and are an interesting read actually). In the UK the five big players (Odeon, Cineworld, Vue, National Amusements and Ward Anderson) actually account for more than 75% of screens across the country.

For many large cinemas/chains the cost of leasing a digital projector each month would be less of a concern than controlling staff costs and rent/rates (or for a chain - advertising costs). But as you say smaller cinemas may struggle, but a good 35mm projector with all the bells and whistles is not "cheap" these days either, and in every day use they don't last forever either.

But don't worry, film will be around for some time yet, I think the main difference in the coming years will be less choice, especially for colour.
    Last edited by jrhilton; 06-02-2011 at 10:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinP View Post
    So, USA, UK, Germany, Belgium,Czech Republic, Croatia, Japan and China are third world countries? Are there any other countries where film is made (not packaged, actually manufactured, as you mentioned)?
    Italy. Maybe Russia also.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by alapin View Post
    Check out this article I found today on the net.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/201...D9NHUNV00.html
    Back to the topic, the article.

I doubt the number of 20 million films total in the US this year.
    Because I have the official numbers for Germany.
    Last year in Germany almost 18 million films were sold.
    And the US market is still the biggest market worldwide (2. China, 3. Japan, 4. Germany).
    US population is more than 300 million people. Germany is 80 million.
    Most probably the number for the US ist still significantly higher.
    Looks like bad research from the author of this article.

Best regards,
    Henning

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Henning Serger View Post
    Back to the topic, the article.

I doubt the number of 20 million films total in the US this year.
    Because I have the official numbers for Germany.
    Last year in Germany almost 18 million films were sold.
    And the US market is still the biggest market worldwide (2. China, 3. Japan, 4. Germany).
    US population is more than 300 million people. Germany is 80 million.
    Most probably the number for the US ist still significantly higher.
    Looks like bad research from the author of this article.

Best regards,
    Henning
    More like misreading on your part:

"At the turn of the 21st century, American shutterbugs were buying close to a billion rolls of film per year. This year, they might buy a mere 20 million, plus 31 million single-use cameras - the beach-resort staple vacationers turn to in a pinch, according to the Photo Marketing Association."

That seems to add up to around 51 million rolls. Not much, granted, but that's how the PMA called it. Somehow, I'm inclined to believe them. Take a look at the chart that tracks film sales, too.
    Last edited by CGW; 06-02-2011 at 05:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    More like misreading on your part:

"At the turn of the 21st century, American shutterbugs were buying close to a billion rolls of film per year. This year, they might buy a mere 20 million, plus 31 million single-use cameras - the beach-resort staple vacationers turn to in a pinch, according to the Photo Marketing Association."
    No misreading by me. I know about the number of SUC's.
    I have compared single films.
    The number I have mentioned from Germany is excluding SUC's.
    Therefore my comparison is correct.

Best regards,
    Henning

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No misreading by me. I know about the number of SUC's.
    I have compared single films.
    The number I have mentioned from Germany is excluding SUC's.
    Therefore my comparison is correct.

Best regards,
    Henning
    Do the math, man. There's a "roll" of film in each and every single-use camera. You doubted the U.S. figure of 20 million rolls. Like I said, it's projected to be around 50 million but not likely more. For Kodak and others, it's the dollars spent on film that matter and it's cratered--no basis for interpretation there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Do the math, man. There's a "roll" of film in each and every single-use camera. You doubted the U.S. figure of 20 million rolls.
    Of course there is one film in every SUC. But that is not the point, not at all.

If 18 million single films (excluding SUC's) for normal camera use were sold in Germany alone (Germany being only at 4. position of worldwide sales), than it is very unlikely that in the USA (biggest market worldwide, almost 4x Germanys population) only 20 million single films for normal camera use will be sold this year.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course there is one film in every SUC. But that is not the point, not at all.

If 18 million single films (excluding SUC's) for normal camera use were sold in Germany alone (Germany being only at 4. position of worldwide sales), than it is very unlikely that in the USA (biggest market worldwide, almost 4x Germanys population) only 20 million single films for normal camera use will be sold this year.

Best regards,
    Henning
    Why is that unlikely to you? All it would mean would be that a greater percentage of Germans use film than do United States of Americans. I wouldn't find that hard to believe, knowing how our national culture promotes jumping to the latest and greatest in consumer electronics technology. I am not saying that you or the other guy are right or wrong...simply that I don't think it is that unbelievable that a relatively small nation like Germany, especially with its rich photographic tradition, could approach the U.S.A. in film sales.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "If 18 million single films (excluding SUC's) for normal camera use were sold in Germany alone (Germany being only at 4. position of worldwide sales), than it is very unlikely that in the USA (biggest market worldwide, almost 4x Germanys population) only 20 million single films for normal camera use will be sold this year."

No worries if you chose to disregard the data. I just don't see the point, though, unless your data are somehow more revealing. This contrarian denial of N. American reality is tiresome, both here and in other threads. What's next? A conspiracy theory about chronic under-reporting of film sales?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin