Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,324   Posts: 1,536,920   Online: 1141

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ilford 'FILM CLIPPERS"

This is a question for representitives of Ilford. Would it be an idea to market some sort of "film clipper", that would aid people who roll there own 35mm films? I<m thinking of a device that would cut the end of 35mm film from a roll of 17 or 30 meter into the exact shape that is at the cassette end of a single roll. I use reusable cassette's that have a similar shape and manner to attach the film to the spool of the casstte, as ilford rolls do. Such a "clipper" would be a great aid in fixing the film securely to the reusable film spool.

Hope to get a answer from Simon or anybody else from Ilford

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why the exact shape? I roll my own cassettes from 30m rolls, and just clip a triangluar section, perhaps no longer than 2" at the top, to create a 'film leader'. At the spool end, I have used masking tape, and black vinyl electrical tape. I now have a roll of 'blue max' film splicing tape, that is the perfect product. Sticks like mad to film, and only sparingly to anything else.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Only some of the reels I have are ready for precut film. Tape works real well for me.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have such a film clipper - I call it 'scissors'!
    Pausing only to apologise for my flippant response to a serious and well-intentioned question, I can honestly say that in 40 years of rolling my own (film!) a small pair of scissors works fine. I cut the cassette end of the film straight across (as square as I can in the dark) and secure it to the spool with tape, wrapping the tape right around to attach it to both sides of the film. If I forget to put the scissors somewhere where I can find them in the dark, I just tear the film, which works equally as well as the flanges of the spool serve to position the film squarely. As for tape, I've learned to be a bit picky as some adhesives can go gloopy and spoil the last frame that I eek out of a roll. Lately I've found that paper surgical tape works well as the adhesive is almost dry and doesn't leave a residue when peeled off.
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have learned to put the scissors in my pocket. I use children's school scissors with round nose.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a Canon EOS 10S/QD, it just needs one sprocket hole and can be cut straight.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Leitz used to make a little template gadget to trim films, one end for the camera leader and the other to fit the Leitz brass cassettes. The order code was "ABLON". See http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00Qy2A

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a bit of practice and you can get really good at cutting straight cuts in perfect darkness. I use scissors that have a rounded tip and are short.

For the leader, I have traced and snipped myself a template out of metal (from a commercial cassette) that I trim around to get really nice leaders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course, everyone here is quite correct. It's not difficult to scissor snip and tape. But still I agree with the OP. A simple, inexpensive trimming device that would give correct and repeatable results would be nice.

Those who bulk load 35mm film also often fall into the home darkroom subgroup as well. If you do, look around your darkrooms. How many similar gadgets, from very simple to frighteningly compex (and often expensive) do you use? A leader trimmer would just be another small member of that group.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    If you do, look around your darkrooms. How many similar gadgets, from very simple to frighteningly compex (and often expensive) do you use? A leader trimmer would just be another small member of that group.

Ken
    One such gadget is the Ilford film tongue retriever (or whatever it's called), which has been a godsend on a few occasions!

I'd venture to suggest that the leader trimmer is akin to digital television, i.e. a solution looking for a problem, though given the choice I'd rather be forced to have a leader trimmer than be forced to have numerous digital channels of mindless nonsense displayed in poorer quality than the analogue signal that they have replaced!

Steve

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin