Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    As far as I know, both Fuji and Kodak still make 400 speed APS film.
    For some time now, I've noticed only the 200ASA version in 25exp cassettes here in the UK. Not seen any at all from Kodak recently, just Fuji plus one own-label brand which is obviously also from them.

Kodak have cut back on their coating lines, and I've not seen anything definitive about the effect of the earthquake on Fuji....it's worrying that APS is a niche line which might also be fading away, since there seems no practical way to roll-your-own in this size.

Shooter
    35mm
    Unfortunately according to the UK site of Kodak, they have discontinued making APS film after 15 years of production. See:-

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_GB

It appears Fuji are still making their APS films, but as railwayman3 says, in the UK you can only find 25 exposure cassettes in ISO 200. There is also at least one supermarket (Sainsburys?) selling their own brand version. In Japan, and maybe elsewhere, you can still get the film in 40 exposure cassettes in ISO 400. For example see:-

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...roducts_id=133

Ferrania (Solaris) still list their version on their site, but whether it is still available is perhaps debateable:-

http://www.ferraniait.com/solutions/...photograph.htm

There were some very nice APS cameras made, and if we want to encourage Fuji to keep making it, we will have to keep buying the film. Unfortunately I still have a large quantity in the freezer, so can't really do that at the moment.

As for 126, Ferrania were the last manufacturer and I don't know of anyone who still has some in stock. I was lucky, I got a few rolls from Frugal a few weeks back, but the postage, Royal Mail handling fee and customs charges were so high, it wasn't really a very sensible purchase. At least with 126, you can roll your own (if you're brave enough) but there's not really a way you can do that with APS. I hope Adox do get round to re-introducing 126 but I won't hold my breath. I think 110 is higher on their agenda, and even that seems still quite some way off.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ferrania is not a good quality film. It is not worth saving by buying Ferrania. My experience with the ISO800 135 Ferrania was bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How do you guys process it this stuff?
    Do you have reels for these oddball sizes?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    Ferrania is not a good quality film. It is not worth saving by buying Ferrania. My experience with the ISO800 135 Ferrania was bad.
    That's a bit harsh.....I don't think that there is any really bad color neg film, so many quality-problems are down to poor processing and, particularly, poor printing. Fast colour neg can also sometimes be a bit tricky, particularly with any hint of under-exposure.

(And, we're talking of Ferrania for, maybe, being the only soures of obscure sizes unobtainable elsewhere. )
    Last edited by railwayman3; 07-06-2011 at 05:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    How do you guys process it this stuff?
    Do you have reels for these oddball sizes?
    126 fits a 35mm reel, 110 fits a 16mm reel (obtainable sometimes on Ebay).

APS is 24mm wide....never seen a reel for this, so you would have to use a lab with the suitable (deep-tank?) gear....or I have heard of someone taping it to a length or processed 35mm. Rather fiddly, I guess.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by stavrosk View Post
    I haven't used the ISO 800 film so can't comment on that. On the other hand I have used films made by them in all the slower speeds many times over the past 40+ years. They tend to have fairly high contrast, which is not necessarily a disadvantage, but the quality was perfectly acceptable. As a west European manufacturer, they wouldn't have lasted for decades if they were producing poor quality film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last I checked Blue Moon Camera and Machine still had some 126 film for sale.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, there's still some for sale, a few cartidges here and there but I don't know of any 126 still being made. With Adox looking at making 110 I hope they'll consider making 126 again too, not really much different, just a different mould for the cartridge and no need to slit down unperforated 35mm film, just tape it onto backing paper and roll it.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin