Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,504   Online: 958

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    What on earth is this seller thinking???
    He's thinking he can make a few bucks.

Download image from LOC. Sell cheap reprint on eBay. Receive order (maybe). Print and ship for a couple of dollars. Pocket difference. No sale? No real cost.

No disrespect intended, seller might not even be aware of the irony. Not the kind of biz I'm interested in, but if the image is out of copyright (not all images in the LOC are in the public domain - this one is listed as 'rights status not evaluated') it's legit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    He's thinking he can make a few bucks.

Download image from LOC. Sell cheap reprint on eBay. Receive order (maybe). Print and ship for a couple of dollars. Pocket difference. No sale? No real cost.

No disrespect intended, seller might not even be aware of the irony. Not the kind of biz I'm interested in, but if the image is out of copyright (not all images in the LOC are in the public domain - this one is listed as 'rights status not evaluated') it's legit.
    The original image on the LOC website is from a glass negative (plate). Costs to make print from a glass negative is $40. No way the seller is reselling LOC printed copies.

LOC is highly resistant to pulling the negatives for stuff scanned (this one has a 20MB+ file)

As a preservation measure, we generally do not serve an original item when a digital image is available. If you have a compelling reason to see the original, consult with a reference librarian. (Sometimes, the original is simply too fragile to serve. For example, glass and film photographic negatives are particularly subject to damage. They are also easier to see online where they are presented as positive images.)
    If I were exchanging emails with the seller, I would ask precisely how the portraits were made: i.e. from what negative, obtained in what way. Obviously the original negative is not being used. Mostly likely, the negative (if there is one) was produced from a scan by the LOC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin