Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,876   Online: 1012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Huge Disrespect for George Eastman.

I was looking around on ebay and came across this site.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEORGE-EASTM...item35a3a113a1

I find it is HUGELY disrespectful to George Eastman the founder of KODAK. If you read the product description these reprints of one of George Eastman most famous portraits are printed on FUJI photographic paper. What on earth is this seller thinking??? Is it just me or does it seem totally wrong to print memorabilia images of George Eastman onto one of this largest competitors products?
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suppose they could have printed it on Kodak paper, if it were still being produced.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strangely they printed it on Fuji Crystal Archive... they could just as well have printed it on Kodak Endura! Odd to print B&W on color paper though that is what Kodak suggests these days since they don't make B&W paper anymore. I still have some Polycontrast II 8x10 around to make real B&W prints on Kodak paper ;-) Strangely the old data sheets for Polycontrast don't say discontinued on Kodak.com, unlike pages for Verichrome Pan which suggest a replacement.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ad says: "This is a professional chemically processed photo printed directly from the credited source". The source is listed as the Library of Congress. Does that mean they used a LOC negative? Can you legally use LOC materials for profit?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All material in the Library of Congress is available since their archives are public domain.

It is funny that the sales pitch says Fujifilm archive paper. Reminds me of the time a professional magazine photographer was hired to photograph the CEO of Kodak back in the 1980s. The photographer showed up with Fuji transparency film.

When I CEO saw the film, he was reported to have said "You are a professional, but after this portrait session is over, I do what to talk to you."
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I find it is HUGELY disrespectful to George Eastman the founder of KODAK. If you read the product description these reprints of one of George Eastman most famous portraits are printed on FUJI photographic paper. What on earth is this seller thinking??? Is it just me or does it seem totally wrong to print memorabilia images of George Eastman onto one of this largest competitors products?
    I understand your point...I suppose, however, that, while GE was certainly Kodak's founder, others might point out that he certainly didn't invent photography and that an equally large part of the high-quality of modern photo materials depends
    on the work and research of other individuals and manufacturers, not only Kodak?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is like the President of General Motors being driven around town in a Lincoln limo. Nothing wrong with a Lincoln but, just seems somehow disrespectful or not taking into consideration the obvious oddness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It might made the print after Kodak B&W paper disappeared.

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It sounds like they are ordering the prints from the LOC and reselling them. You could just as easily order one from the LOC directly, it may be cheaper.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be very surprised if the Library of Congress bought multiple types of paper so as to match the manufacturer to the subject of the photos.

I expect that the Fuji paper was purchased as a result of an RFP procedure - I'm sure it met the technical requirements and was probably at least a few pennies cheaper per long roll.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin