Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,350   Online: 754

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    That of course is the OTHER Ilford--not Simon's current gig.

And what is it with those guys- do they not want to sell product? I mean, I know the Swiss are reserved and all, but that's ridiculous!
    I don't think they actually do want to bother with selling this stuff, but keep doing it for now because they have contracts with some military organization(s.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Swiss Ilfochrome Ilford plant and company are now separate from HARMAN Technologies in the UK, are they not? The Wikipedia page says all new products at HARMAN must be called HARMAN but the 300 Art paper is new and it is called ILFORD so I guess that shows how much faith I should have in Wikipedia articles.

Sadly Ilfochrome paper makes B&W paper look very cheap! 16x20 50 sheets for $534 at B&H... ouch. Here in Canada I recently spent $200 on 50 sheets of Ilford MGIVFB 16x20 ($155 at B&H but with $20 shipping and some duties I just buy it here in the store). I thought this was a lot to spend on paper but compared to the Ilfochrome, $4/sheet seems downright affordable...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post

I thought this was a lot to spend on paper but compared to the Ilfochrome, $4/sheet seems downright affordable...
    But the Ilfochrome does give better color.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    But the Ilfochrome does give better color.
    Yes indeed though I do have to try MGIVFB with sepia for a touch of color

In truth however, RA-4 is just dead cheap compared to either Ilfochrome or Ilford MultiGrade. For comparison I can get 50 sheets of 16x20 Fuji CA Type II for $80... or about 1/7th the price of Ilfochrome. Fuji CA is RC and perhaps half weight; for a fairer comparison MGIVRC is only $128 compared to $155 for FB. Color FB would be fun but haven't seen that for decades.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear HPulley,

Firstly thank you for buying and valuing ILFORD Photo products :

I am sure many people have thought the same... it is obviously partially volume related, lots and lots of m2of RA4 paper is made still all around the world so people can have lots of low cost digi prints made.

ILFOCHROME is one of the most complicated coatings ever, more like coating a colour tranny film....multiple layers in multiple passes.

Monochrome paper has a very high silver content compared to colour paper, slower coating speeds, higher waste and other raw material costs are significantly higher as they are made and bought in lower volumes. Next, monochrome paper finishing ( from parent roll to box ) is more labour intensive with less automation, especially outside of the higher volume sellers like 10" x 8". In addition, import duties ( depending on where you are buying ) trans ocean shipping costs et, etc.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology LImited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, Simon, my post was not meant to be a complaint about the price, just a comparison. You're right of course, the high volume of wet digital RA-4 printing keeps that paper cheap, luckily we can still use some of it optically too. Ilfochrome use must be rare these days.

B&W 8x10 paper is used by photography 101 courses everywhere which probably keeps its volume up. That tray size comes with just about every rummage sale darkroom too while larger trays are uncommon. I just prefer bigger prints, they really come alive.

50 sheets of double weight fiber based paper is bulky and heavy for shipping I know.

I print FP4+ on 16x20 right to the edge of the paper. Ilford MGIVFB in 2L of Bromophen 1+3 in a tray gives me deep, rich blacks evenly all over the whole surface. I love the look of it and think $4/sheet is worth it for the high level of quality and consistency from sheet to sheet.

Thanks. Keep on making quality products and I'll keep buying them.

Sorry for taking this so off topic...

Harry

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Harry,

I certainly didn't see it as a complaint, just an observation that I thought deserved a reply...

I really like big prints ( and negs ) as well...but it undoubtedly costs me a lot less to photograph and print than it does you...... although I actually did some contact prints this week from 5 x 4 negs ( actually from our new pinhole camera ) and I really like small as well, they just look great with a wide white mount and framed with a centimetre gloss black frame.....

Best Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited :

Simon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    ...I have been party to all kind of fading tests etc for ILFOCHROMES since 1987 when I joined ILFORD...we had them on our roof as well...
    I'd wager that the insolation on your roof is a wee bit less than what one experiences on a roof in Los Angeles.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love the postcard exchange partly because it shows you don't have to print huge to make an impact but I used to love to shoot chromes since with a big projection screen you get a big glowing view without a print.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I also wish Ilfochrome wasn't so darned expensive. I shoot slides because I like to see exactly what I shot when on a light-table, they're easier to scan, and I am slowly building a collection of 6x7's to one day be Ilfochrome printed--you know, when I hit the lottery.

My photographic mentor has a bunch of shots from Antelope Canyon and other Utah scenes done on Cibachrome/Ilfochrome and we put his modern inkjet prints up next to them and yea....no comparison. Gotta save up for that one day.
    K.S. Klain

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin