Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,369   Online: 1155

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear Harry,

I certainly didn't see it as a complaint, just an observation that I thought deserved a reply...

I really like big prints ( and negs ) as well...but it undoubtedly costs me a lot less to photograph and print than it does you...... although I actually did some contact prints this week from 5 x 4 negs ( actually from our new pinhole camera ) and I really like small as well, they just look great with a wide white mount and framed with a centimetre gloss black frame.....

Best Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited :

Simon.
    Have to ask, Simon. What's up with that 4x5 pinhole camera that I believe was featured in a recent Youtube/Vimeo infomercial for your direct positive paper? Looked very promising.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    [...]
    My photographic mentor has a bunch of shots from Antelope Canyon and other Utah scenes done on Cibachrome/Ilfochrome and we put his modern inkjet prints up next to them and yea....no comparison. Gotta save up for that one day.

Slot, Antelope and other Utah canyon imaging must, must, must go to the Ilfochrome process. The defunct Ilfochrome lab in Adelaide Australia featured massive mural 'chromes of Slot and Antelope Canyons and its totally unbelievable (but nevertheless real) wild play of light of such clarity and intensity that years after seeing them the shock is seared into memory. And they cost a pretty penny, too! These chromes were cold-bonded to alloy plate to give them such a heightened realty that it brought on gasps and spells of vertigo in visitors. When the business closed, these monster prints were returned to the photographers, Peter Lik among (there were about 12).

I don't think 100F has ever been Fuji's top-shelf seller, though through long personal experience it is very, very good for landscapes (I have had many Ilfochromes printed from 35mm trannies), though Velvia 50 remains the gold standard when you have Ilfochrome in mind at the end. Historically, I've had trouble with the reds of Fuji 100F under POL; the film is is excellent for raising mute yellow and brown tones (in diffuse light), but it is very bland with the greens. It requires judicious bumping with a polariser to get some colour combos to jump. Anyhow, still got various other films to play with!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If we could do color scans on this site, I'd show you some of my more recent shots from Utah with Velvia 50 and my Mamiya 7ii....they are truly amazing in contrast and color. I currently have about 6 images worthy of such an honor...

I wonder where you could learn a trade like Ilfochromes....seems like a niche market.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    If we could do color scans on this site, I'd show you some of my more recent shots from Utah with Velvia 50 and my Mamiya 7ii....they are truly amazing in contrast and color. I currently have about 6 images worthy of such an honor...

I wonder where you could learn a trade like Ilfochromes....seems like a niche market.
    Are we only allowed to show black and white?
    Stop pussy-footing about and show them, man!

Shooter
    Medium Format

Its ok to show scans here, its the only way to get film images on the web. APUG generally discourages talking about scanning and digital editing (eg. Photoshop) of images since this place is for film photography, but you're certainly allowed to show JPEGs scanned from film or prints.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I am not saying that the print faded into nothing in under an hour. But that is when the first signs of fading occurred. The first change was a loss of brilliance in the reds.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A description of how to process your prints can be found on luminous landscape.

While this describes the process in great detail, I had to find ways to make this process work in a simple dark room environment and in a way which doesn't burn through sheet after sheet and liters of chemistry before reaching the first useful result. I summed up my methods and observations here. I also received most helpful hints in this and this thread.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Anyhow, still got various other films to play with!
    This essentially sums up the looming problem with color slide film, and it is IMHO the reason even those who rarely use them should be concerned about the discontinuation of Astia, Sensia and 64T. There appear to be 2 manufacturers of this type of film which, together, offer a broad range of color palettes and useable speeds from 25 (Velvia 50 pulled) to 1600 (400X pushed). I assume none of these films sell really all that well (compared to let's say 1990) so the motivation is high for each of them to discontinue some slow movers.

But what they really do is they destroy the whole and complete range of colors and saturations. We end up like with a set of crayons that has no green and brown color crayons, even if you only rarely use these specific colors the whole set becomes useless. The discontinuation of a few Fuji slide films may benefit Fuji in the short run but at the same time also hurts the viability of all slide films .
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudeofus View Post
    This essentially sums up the looming problem with color slide film, and it is IMHO the reason even those who rarely use them should be concerned about the discontinuation of Astia, Sensia and 64T. There appear to be 2 manufacturers of this type of film which, together, offer a broad range of color palettes and useable speeds from 25 (Velvia 50 pulled) to 1600 (400X pushed). I assume none of these films sell really all that well (compared to let's say 1990) so the motivation is high for each of them to discontinue some slow movers.

But what they really do is they destroy the whole and complete range of colors and saturations. We end up like with a set of crayons that has no green and brown color crayons, even if you only rarely use these specific colors the whole set becomes useless. The discontinuation of a few Fuji slide films may benefit Fuji in the short run but at the same time also hurts the viability of all slide films .
    What viability? It's 2011. E6 film sales tanked 5-7 years ago along with quality processing in many markets. Pro E6 shooters kept it all afloat until they switched to digital. Amateurs could never sustain that kind of volume. But then none of this is really news, is it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear CGW....

The HARMAN Titan pinhole camera is now in full production !

I will be in a position to release full details including availability dates early next week, I was fortuanate enough to have a go with one last week and I have to say it was a lot of fun...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology limited :

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin