Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 826

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Guy wants to continue using film, but that's an off-topic topic? Arghhh. Apug drives me nuts sometimes.

I've not used the lab you mention. But if you are willing to ship it to the US, NCPS (northcoastphoto.com) does B&W, decent scans, and prints. Developing is $5.75/roll, scans are either $7 or $12 per roll. The $7 scans are 3000x2000, the $12 ones are larger. Personally, the $7 scans (the 'budget' ones) are plenty good enough - I'd save the $5/roll for something else. That gets you down to $13/roll plus shipping. I've never gotten prints from them. But I would imagine the prints are done straight from the scans, so if you have a local place that does prints from digital files, just get your stuff dev'd and scanned, pick out the keepers, and then take those files to your local place and get the prints done. You'll likely save a lot of money that way. The people at NCPS are very nice and if the first batch of scans comes back to contrasty or something not to your liking, include a note in the next batch and/or call them and I'm sure they'll work with you to get something you are happy with.

What I do is just get the scans for my color (I do my own B&W at home). If I need prints, I do it at one of the many online places like MPix or WHCC, etc. Then you get a choice of output papers, Kodak, Fuji, etc. Some places even offer prints on B&W photo paper, RC or FB, from digital files.

Lastly, I'm sure Bob at Elevator does wonderful work. I'm not sure how much it would cost you though
    That's helpful and might be what the OP's after.

With respect, Carnie's Elevator is not a hi-volume/low cost lab and I'm surprised people--mostly non-customers, I guess--recommend him as such. Frankly, there just aren't that many--if any--labs left in Canada now doing the sort of B&W service the OP wants. Places like Silvano or Toronto Image Works will usually develop for a reasonable(sic)price. Scanning and proofing are another matter and can get pricey fast.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since the sponsor ads all advertise scanning as a main draw towards the use of film, I cannot see how this could be off-topic for APUG. They advertise the service on APUG as a complement to analog service. Without scanning I would not even be using film at all. Without scanning I doubt they would even be in business at all.

I cannot find anywhere on APUG where lab services are discussed, compared, evaluated, and so on. That would be very useful. It would have to include some comparison of scanning as bundled services are what some offer so that's intrinsic to the value. I would think this discussion would be helpful to sponsors and healthy for their industry. I would not use their products otherwise, and I find hunting for this information tedious. The odd firewall here about scanning is at odds with the sponsor's services. When it comes down to it, I'd rather support the lab than APUG ;-)

I don't necessarily need a Canada supplier as some places appear to offer great shipping anywhere in North America, which is a terrific business innovation.

I'll try The Darkroom and this place:

http://www.oldschoolphotolab.com/35mm.html

Prices are reasonable for my volume, scans look good, and they print B&W to RC paper. I'll try the Ilford C-41 BW film as well. Never liked the Kodak stuff. Maybe it was the paper. Always came out bluish even when I tried different labs.

Ilford put me on to this place:

http://www.trueblackandwhiteprints.com/

Scans are pricey but the rest not.

It's really good to see industry stepping up to accommodate the mail order and traditional services. I guess they are really struggling to keep costs down so volumes are not horribly affected. If I can get 25 rolls done for $400/year I am good. It's when it gets above that that film stops being an option. I think without lab users like me this will have a bad outcome for all film shooters. That's why I asked about Ilford's central processing in North America. The insane shipping costs aside, that model would keep me shooting film for the foreseeable future.

Tim gray, thanks a lot. I'll check that place as well. Their scans are more than adequate for 4x6. I really appreciate the cost/benefit analysis.

Thanks to all again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No problem. I can send you some links to their scans that they've done for me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    No problem. I can send you some links to their scans that they've done for me.
    Please. PM is fine.

If anyone has comments on The Darkroom or the oldschoolphotolab.com I'd love to hear some reviews via PM.

I just ordered some XP2 Super. I read from a few it scans well. Good to hear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Halifax View Post

Ian Grant, I do not understand this comment:

"It's a bit off topic on APUG. howver I think there's a few labs in the US offering a similar service to Ilford, try looking on the Ilford website."

Labs are banner ads on APUG. Not everyone has a darkroom or can ever have one. Or is APUG restricted to those who do not use labs and can comment only on darkroom ownership?

Call me confused.
    Discussion of scanning/digital output is supposed to be off topic on APUG, that's why there's a sister forum DPUG.

My own view is there's a need in case like yours for some discussion but Moderators have been known to close threads like this one hence my comments.

Have a look at this website which is mentioned on Ilfords own website, I assume they also dev & scan as they sell films.

Ian

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Discussion of scanning/digital output is supposed to be off topic on APUG, that's why there's a sister forum DPUG.

My own view is there's a need in case like yours for some discussion but Moderators have been known to close threads like this one hence my comments.

Have a look at this website which is mentioned on Ilfords own website, I assume they also dev & scan as they sell films.

Ian
    One of these days APUG's Mods will drop their guard on scanning and digital output--after all, it's 2011. So long as image capture is analog, why object to these discussions? BTW, how do pix get posted here? DPUG is moribund relative to APUG. The action's here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you up north permanently? Or is it a renewable term job or some other arrangement that lets you come down south, say to Halifax, from time to time for a few weeks. If so, ship your film to a drop point you can pick it up from and then you can develop it yourself in a few big sessions. Kind of does the "no instant gratification" thing real big!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    One of these days APUG's Mods will drop their guard on scanning and digital output--after all, it's 2011. So long as image capture is analog, why object to these discussions? BTW, how do pix get posted here? DPUG is moribund relative to APUG. The action's here.
    I think there has to be a slight compromise, the OP's questions are towards the analog side and with commercial D&P Colour and B&W there has to be an acceptance that route is now mainly digital with analogue output.

Speaking for myself I've never had any issues of how works produced, I use both but happen to prefer analog.

The debate opens up when you get into the realms of manipulation. That's a seperatye issue.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post

Ian
    If APUG shut down a thread like this for such pathetic reasons I would inform the sponsors of the ads that my biz would go elsewhere as a result of such censorship. The analog world doesn't need this silliness dividing a shrinking market. Film companies have gone from being key Olympic sponsors to a mere presence on a niche website. They'll get it.

Like the OP I too depend on labs, those labs scan, they advertise they scan on the banner ad, so it's a facilitation by APUG. I'm staring at one as I type.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    If APUG shut down a thread like this for such pathetic reasons I would inform the sponsors of the ads that my biz would go elsewhere as a result of such censorship. The analog world doesn't need this silliness dividing a shrinking market. Film companies have gone from being key Olympic sponsors to a mere presence on a niche website. They'll get it.

Like the OP I too depend on labs, those labs scan, they advertise they scan on the banner ad, so it's a facilitation by APUG. I'm staring at one as I type.
    It's not my policy. Take it up with the moderators etc.

It's not a big deal but there has been a need to stop attempts at hijacking the forum. We had a hybrid section to cover these areas that became a seperate Forum, hybridphoto.com - now renamed DPUG.org

Is it ideal, I don't think so, I fully understand the OP and others points and the fact that to just post images here we need to have digital imaging skills. But these things evolve from threads like this.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 09-19-2011 at 05:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin