Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,214   Online: 1004

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think it is a generational thing. I love using film, but have never copied in a dark room. And I'm not even very young, almost 40 now. If many younger photographers, who scan, are attracted to APUG, this might change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scanning techniques may be off topic for Apug, and I agree with that, BUT, this is the PRODUCT AVAILABILITY Forum, and all the OP was asking was for a recommendation on a supplier who can develop and scan black and white film. Not a howto scan or which scanner to buy.
    Bob

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm 23 and started in the darkroom during high school, dabbled in scanning and came directly back to darkroom work. I think this place is for people who prefer analog--period. That's why I'm here. There's plenty of resources and forums online for people doing hybrid or other digital methods, but for me, this is a sanctuary for the craftsman of the darkside. So yes, there is an overwhelming amount of people doing hybrid, but this is not the place.
    K.S. Klain

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    I'm 23 and started in the darkroom during high school, dabbled in scanning and came directly back to darkroom work. I think this place is for people who prefer analog--period. That's why I'm here. There's plenty of resources and forums online for people doing hybrid or other digital methods, but for me, this is a sanctuary for the craftsman of the darkside. So yes, there is an overwhelming amount of people doing hybrid, but this is not the place.
    Not sure if APUG realizes that it can never have too many friends. Not sure you do, either. Someone should reconsider and bring a hybrid board(not a "what's the best DSLR for me" board) onto the site. That way things "digital" are quarantined but readily available for cross-board exchanges. Not sure why this smells so badly to some hereabouts.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think most threads like this would never be of any concern if the discussion didn't shift into what's allowed and what isn't.

If this thread stayed on topic there would probably have been no issues, after all, this recent thread passed by without any feathers being ruffled. Here is another that could have been a flashpoint but wasn't.

Digital presence is clearly a concern, but the OP (who only joined this month) has had to labour through 6 pages of argument (including my opine) to find useful information.
    Steve.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    To the OP, if you were a member of let's say "The Nikon Forum" would it be alright to say, B&H is an advertiser of the Nikon Forum and they sell Leica cameras too and therefore I want to talk about Leica on the Nikon forum? I understand you issue, just also consider that any org/community have a mission statement that does not get superseded by the mission/offerings of a third party (i.e., sponsor in this case).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    The problem is the lab does not solely do analog and that is unavoidable. If we discuss labs, we have to discuss scanning. Those labs advertise on APUG. It is the labs that merge the issue.

Once past development any issue involving most labs is going to have to discuss scanning and prints from those labs. That is how labs stay economically viable if I am not mistaken. If that is not on the table, then APUG cannot really be said to support the full spectrum of a lab's services. That's a shame. What people prefer and what is available to the broader community is what's at stake. I am glad you prefer a darkroom. I shoot film and that's not even close to being an option for me. You want a sanctuary, I want lab services. You are implying they cannot coexist because labs that cannot avoid digital methods taint the sanctuary.

I'd like to be able to support the labs and support APUG simultaneously, but some people think that discussions should be cleansed and purified of anything digital which goes against the intent of the banner ads surrounding this thread. Clearly some people think this is a hands-on, darkroom only forum. My question as a new user: Is it?

There are a lot of good labs trying to stay viable serving analog film shooters and we should be supporting them wholeheartedly, not halfheartedly. I've got money and undeveloped film burning a hole in my pocket!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Digital presence is clearly a concern, but the OP (who only joined this month) has had to labour through 6 pages of argument (including my opine) to find useful information.
    Not really. I posted some useful information pretty quickly as did others. I also sent him a PM with more information that surely would have been frowned upon had I posted it openly.

The sad thing is that one of the first comments was, "It's off topic."

Shooter
    35mm
    That's a misplaced analogy because labs are compelled to use digital services to continue offering their analog services. You may not like that crutch in some vision of analog purity, but it is simply the market reality where the last remaining hope for film sales lies.

The correct analogy would be a scenario where Leica camera owners are compelled to use Nikon lenses, which would set off a thermonuclear explosion exposing all film worldwide instantaneously

Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    To the OP, if you were a member of let's say "The Nikon Forum" would it be alright to say, B&H is an advertiser of the Nikon Forum and they sell Leica cameras too and therefore I want to talk about Leica on the Nikon forum? I understand you issue, just also consider that any org/community have a mission statement that does not get superseded by the mission/offerings of a third party (i.e., sponsor in this case).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Halifax View Post
    The problem is the lab does not solely do analog and that is unavoidable. If we discuss labs, we have to discuss scanning. Those labs advertise on APUG. It is the labs that merge the issue.

Once past development any issue involving most labs is going to have to discuss scanning and prints from those labs. That is how labs stay economically viable if I am not mistaken. If that is not on the table, then APUG cannot really be said to support the full spectrum of a lab's services. That's a shame. What people prefer and what is available to the broader community is what's at stake. I am glad you prefer a darkroom. I shoot film and that's not even close to being an option for me. You want a sanctuary, I want lab services. You are implying they cannot coexist because labs that cannot avoid digital methods taint the sanctuary.

I'd like to be able to support the labs and support APUG simultaneously, but some people think that discussions should be cleansed and purified of anything digital which goes against the intent of the banner ads surrounding this thread. Clearly some people think this is a hands-on, darkroom only forum. My question as a new user: Is it?

There are a lot of good labs trying to stay viable serving analog film shooters and we should be supporting them wholeheartedly, not halfheartedly. I've got money and undeveloped film burning a hole in my pocket!
    I totally understand and agree as well. I thought your question was fair game since it is services we all partake in. Just saying that turning the whole forum into a hybrid site isn't ideal. Asking about lab services seems to be completely reasonable to me, especially considering we all scan our images to get them up here anyhow. Just need to draw the line somewhere, and that's when we get into the techniques, equipment, etc and where I'd say the topic needs to find it's way to another forum because people here want to focus on traditional methods only. Hence the name of the forum.

And yes, a place can have too many friends. I think the fundamental difference is our understanding of this forum: is it a business or a community?
    K.S. Klain

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin