Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,357   Online: 928

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lab Services

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Richard Photo Lab, that's who I go through.

They take forever and are outrageously expensive, as in I'm spending about $100 for 4 rolls D&S that I won't see till December, but I get perfect results every time off their Frontier.

They cater to the individual, so if you make common adjustments they'll remember that, and as far as a portfolio goes, they're as impressive as they get.

http://richardphotolab.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Metro Colour Lab http://www.metrocolourlab.com/ in Birmingham U.K they produce at a reasonable price some of the best work E6 and C41 work I've seen.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned Richard Photo Lab, that's who I go through.

They take forever and are outrageously expensive, as in I'm spending about $100 for 4 rolls D&S that I won't see till December, but I get perfect results every time off their Frontier.

They cater to the individual, so if you make common adjustments they'll remember that, and as far as a portfolio goes, they're as impressive as they get.

http://richardphotolab.com/
    It is not really a ton of money for quality developing and scanning IMO. And they are local to me. Thanks for the tip. I had heard of them existing, but not anything good or bad about them until your post.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those who use ABC Photocolour in Vancouver, just a heads up. They are in the midst of their big move. As I understand it most of the large machinery was moved over the weekend, and they expect this week to be taken up with setting up and calibrating. So rush jobs aren't in the cards.

They looked just a bit tired when I drove by there yesterday.
    Last edited by MattKing; 11-07-2011 at 09:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: diction
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For those who use ABC Photocolour in Vancouver, just a heads up. They are in the midst of their big move. As I understand it most of the large machinery was moved over the weekend, and they expect this week to be taken up with setting up and calibrating. So rush jobs aren't in the cards.

They looked just a bit tired when I drove by their yesterday.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm just finishing up a couple of boxes of colour 4x5 to send to them. I hope all goes well, I enjoy working with them.

Just to save others the lookup, their new address is: 472 West 15th Avenue, Vancouver
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm just finishing up a couple of boxes of colour 4x5 to send to them. I hope all goes well, I enjoy working with them.

Just to save others the lookup, their new address is: 472 West 15th Avenue, Vancouver
    It is the old G. King Photo building - just east of Cambie Street.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    List which labs have affordable and reliable C-41 develop + CD (batch low-res scan).

This used to be a very affordable often 1-hour process (around $4 per roll for develop + CD) on a Frontier lab in a "box" store nearby, but no longer. Yes, they would sometimes fingerprint the negs, scratch while sleeving or in transport or even slice through one. But it was cheap and fast. Now it seems I can't find a "pro" lab that would do this, the closest I found is Dwayne's. Their mail order service will develop + scan to CD for about $8 + shipping.

Labs near me like Dorian are set up to do high-quality to-print scans, which is not what I want at all. I just want C-41 35mm/120 film developed, cut and sleeved, not scratched and something that replaces wasted paper for editing down. Photo CD is perfect for me in that role.

*sigh*

This is more of a rant, I know I have to mail my film to Dwaynes.
    Last edited by Colden; 11-20-2011 at 06:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like Toronto Image Works. Arguably the best of the remaining(?) pro labs in the area. Very nice E6 work. Fast service(4hrs or better). No clue about mail order. Worth asking if you need it.

http://www.torontoimageworks.com/film_processing.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the past six years or so I have been sending all my color work (Kodachrome, subsequently Ekatchrome) via UPS/Fedex to Dwayne's Photo of Parsons, KS. Their prices are competitive and their work has been consistent from day one; I have yet to experience any lab screwups. Accordingly, for any E6 work, I can give them an unqualified recommendation. As far as black and white goes, I cannot offer any suggestions. I have never been satisfied with b&w machine processing so I have almost always done my own b&w work (souping and printing, 35mm, 2 1/4 and 4x5). For a list of services offered by Dwayne's, check out their website, www.dwaynesphoto.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wanted to find some big box store nearby that sends to Dwayne to cut down on shipping costs, does anyone know: Boston area?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin