Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,614   Online: 959

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

What film to count on being available for high quality architecture and landscapes?

I have come back, or want to come back to film photography to gain large image quality. After an absence of a couple years I decided I want to use my Sinar 4x5 to shoot architecture and urban landscapes. The images I get from my DSLR's just are not cutting it and I don't have the cash to shell out for a pro digital back. I thought why not get a decent scanner, break out the film camera and go to work. I have the equipment why not put it back into service? But now am discovering that the films I wanted to use are almost impossible to get? I am looking for suggestions on which products are available and may remain available for the foreseeable future? I used to shoot Ektichrome, Tri-x and do Polaroid test shots. I would like to shoot color transparency as my main format. I would really appreciate your suggestions for film, processing and sources? Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ektachrome 100G 4x5 is still around, Tri-X 4x5 too. Fuji Instant 100C and 3000B in 4x5 as well (Polaroid is gone). I'm in Canada so not sure about processing, sorry.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would use Fuji Provia 100F, and Fuji Provia 400 X.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I would use Fuji Provia 100F, and Fuji Provia 400 X.
    Is 400X available as 4x5 now? If so, I am buying a stash of it!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Alas, no, it is not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry I'm not a L/F user I assumed it was.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's really too bad it isn't. It is a great film. With the discontinuation or Portra 400NC went the last fast color 4x5 film.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's really too bad it isn't. It is a great film. With the discontinuation or Portra 400NC went the last fast color 4x5 film.
    Untrue I believe. New Portra 160 and 400 are both available in 4x5. Freestyle seems to have both in stock.

Sadly I think chromes are just about dead in any size. C-41 hopefully will last a while longer. Smoke 'em if you got 'em...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have pushed Portra 400 to 3200 with excellent results, best fast color film ever produced, I would say its even better at 1600+ then 400 ( a bit more color punch)

I havent any scanned (that I can put online) but a bit google gives:

Big review (get a coffee but its worth it) http://figitalrevolution.com/2010/12...ra-400-review/

@3200: http://www.camerasandfilm.com/archives/418
    @1600: http://www.camerasandfilm.com/archives/409

and on flicker: http://www.flickr.com/photos/phloodp...7626086079045/

love the new Portra, i would say its the best color negative film ever produced
    (and its even exist in 8x10)
    cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Untrue I believe. New Portra 160 and 400 are both available in 4x5. Freestyle seems to have both in stock.

Sadly I think chromes are just about dead in any size. C-41 hopefully will last a while longer. Smoke 'em if you got 'em...
    You are correct! I was thinking of 5x7 format, not 4x5.
    2F/2F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin