Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,904   Online: 1094

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well this sounds more promising than previous news I had heard. The fact they are now manufacturing/selling all items during this time of uncertainty is a good, giving them the best chance!

Thanks for passing on the news Les.

Kathy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hurrah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to hear, thank you very much Les for this shot in the arm.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    whew!!........Thanks
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wow, this is great news. I was always under the impression that US products would continue, but having a healthy world-wide Ilford organization is good news for us all - there is no substitute for profit!

<insert irreverant part, I can't help myself>
    Unfortunately, I am Les' source and as everyone knows by now I don't know anything. I just made up all that stuff to make him feel better. So now everyone can go out and cancel all your orders with jandc and go buy 10 years worth of Ilford film\paper. Then we can have rumors about jandc going under and we can cancel all the Ilford orders and re-order from jandc. Man, are we powerful or what?
    <end of irreverant and irrelevant part>

Thanks, Les!

-Mike

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi All,
    Someone I have spoken to in the photographic retail trade tells me that he's heard from his "mole" that the feeling within the "analogue" part of Ilford is that things there have been neglected by those in high places in favour of promoting and pushing the digital side (no great surprise!) and that if there had been a more balanced view the current problems would never have arisen. Apparently one of the main factors in securing the future of the Ilford products is the huge volume made and sold very profitably to the medical market.
    Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
    Apparently one of the main factors in securing the future of the Ilford products is the huge volume made and sold very profitably to the medical market.
    Steve
    I don't know anything about Ilford sales. But at each hospital visit in the past two years I was amazed at how much analog stuff has been replaced by digital equivalents. E.g. here in Holland no Xray is made on traditional film anymore.

G.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts
    Hi All,
    Someone I have spoken to in the photographic retail trade tells me that he's heard from his "mole" that the feeling within the "analogue" part of Ilford is that things there have been neglected by those in high places in favour of promoting and pushing the digital side (no great surprise!) and that if there had been a more balanced view the current problems would never have arisen. Apparently one of the main factors in securing the future of the Ilford products is the huge volume made and sold very profitably to the medical market.
    Steve
    The wet film X-ray business is shrinking to digital and also dry film technologies. Ilford is not a player in dry film X-ray which Kodak has pretty much wrapped up because of tying the film cartridge to the machine and not allowing it to work with anything else.

Ilfords problems were accelerated by the dumping of huge amounts of film on the market at cost or near cost to anyone who would buy bulk quantities. Their largest customers got big concessions in price for the main line films so their profit margins improved significantly. Ilford on the other hand saw rising costs and declining profits from production lines that were being run at a high capacity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    Ilfords problems were accelerated by the dumping of huge amounts of film on the market at cost or near cost to anyone who would buy bulk quantities. Their largest customers got big concessions in price for the main line films so their profit margins improved significantly. Ilford on the other hand saw rising costs and declining profits from production lines that were being run at a high capacity.
    Yep that sums up the decline of virtually every company here in the UK, when will management learn

Les - many thanks for the latest update, as the white bearded man said only time will tell. Please pass on our best wishes to the staff especially with Christmas bearing down at a rapid rate of knotts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jandc
    The wet film X-ray business is shrinking to digital and also dry film technologies. Ilford is not a player in dry film X-ray which Kodak has pretty much wrapped up because of tying the film cartridge to the machine and not allowing it to work with anything else.
    I dunno, but I was under the impression (mistaken?) that a good number of these wet-film machines were making their way to hospitals and clinics that never had x-ray facilities previously and cannot afford to go digital. I.e. that they were going to less-fortunate nations.

Is this possible?
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin