Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,985   Online: 684

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not read the article yet but I have been disappointed to see these 'film is dying' pieces have seen a resurgence recently. They will be proved wrong.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    film isn't going anywhere, its just the smaller companies that will take over.
    and chemical photography will be re-established as it was years ago before the multi faceted, multi national conglomerates
    took such a large chunk of the pie ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I have been saying for years the technology behind ink jet coatings will be the way to go. Ink jets are now coating thin film solar panels with perfect uniformity,
    I've been wondering about that myself. I figure one of the hurdles would be to make the surface of each layer as smooth as current methods do. It's really quite amazing to me when looking at photomicrographs of film emulsion cross-sections how thin and precise each layer is.

they are even layer by layer printing out human organs.
    You mean pretty soon we'll be able to order up an organ? Will we be able to order... umm... certain ones in a larger size?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I've been wondering about that myself. I figure one of the hurdles would be to make the surface of each layer as smooth as current methods do. It's really quite amazing to me when looking at photomicrographs of film emulsion cross-sections how thin and precise each layer is.

You mean pretty soon we'll be able to order up an organ? Will we be able to order... umm... certain ones in a larger size?
    They only come in black...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's all right! Supersize me!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Off topic is the only way this thread can go... AWesome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish I never sold my Mamiya C-33. If all 120 film was gone, it could have doubled as a very effective blunt weapon.

Shooter
    35mm
    I did like this quote

Eastman Kodak, Chris Johnson, Director of New Business Development, Entertainment Imaging, counters that "I don't see a time when Kodak stops making film stock," noting the year-on-year growth in 65mm film and popularity of Super 8mm. "We still make billions of linear feet of film," he says. "Over the horizon as far as we can see, we'll be making billions of feet of film."

And in terms of quantity references, they still print billions of feet and hence with his ratios it's still half a billion feet of film being using by the stills industry. That's still tens of milllions (about 50) of rolls of film per year and given the move industry film as well, that works out (given a 30% profit) of very approx a billion dollar profit industry. Even if they only make 5% on the film stock (and they don't do any marketing so it should be more) it is still a $200m profit business.

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film Trend Defies (Normal) Logic

The story is actually positive, but the old names are retiring. The demise of film isn't true.

Speaking about still, now: Fuji & Kodak <em>will</em> be leaving the business, but that's merely because their manufacturing lines are scaled to pre-digital levels of demand and they would have to guess at future levels and rebuild plants to address the new markets in a financially viable way. The numbers inevitably look small to them, given where they've been.

There are several good examples of companies picking up the old manufacturing assets and addressing the new, yes GROWING, markets for particularly black & white camera film.

o Rollei, see ADOX below
    o ADOX Fotowerke GmbH (ADOX in Leverkusen): Adox bought the machinery from the old AGFA plant and hired some of AGFA Leverkusen's former employees.
    o Fotikemika (Efke in Croatia)
    o Foma Bohemia (Fomapan in the Czech Republic)
    o Impossible Project (new Polaroid-type instant formulas in Enschede, Netherlands),
    o New55 Project (new better-than Polaroid Type 55 instant, still in development)
    o there are good film stocks coming out of Shanghai (probably based on some of the above classic formulations)

The trend defies mainstream logic; but of course mainstream thought has always struggled against a bias toward coherence.

The landscape is changing, but film will not be going away in <em>this</em> generation.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    This is getting boring.
    Yes, there is already a thread on this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin