Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,784   Online: 823

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Swhiser:

You got something wrong on Adox.

And Fotokemica and Foma are old companies going on, you can't make them an examnple for new initiatives.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nutter View Post
    The funny thing for me is...I now own more film cameras and related stuff now than when I did ten years ago after "Going Digital." It is what it is for sure...no sense losing sleep.
    Besides...for less than 10% of the cost of new in many cases, you can get some really cool gear to play with, and have nothing much to worry about financially at least, if and when when the rollers do stop.
    Mee too! I found that medium format was the way to go when developing at home. My small errors won't get noticed on such large negs. Mamiya 645, Zeiss Ikonta (6x6), Agfa (6x9), Fuji (6x9) etc etc. Fun to play with, I even do C-41, and my 5D mark II gathers dust in the mean time There is a certain /something/ in the process of it all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a digital camera myself but hardly ever use it. I still like my film cameras better.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ... i have a digital camera and
    have started to use it often again.
    its almost as much fun as using film ...
    except my card got kind of nasty when i removed it from the caffenol

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I have a digital camera myself but hardly ever use it. I still like my film cameras better.

Jeff
    Same here.

But I'm quite sure that film, and cameras to use it, will outlast me. If, however, I live to be 104 and there is no film left, I'll be more than delighted if I'm still well enough to use a digital camera.

I have a friend of my own age (early 50's), who is too ill to use any kind of camera, or even his much-loved paint brush and easel....and never will again... It puts this kind of discussion and worry about film into perspective, and shows that it would be more productive to get out and enjoy our hobby. As my old boss used to say, "there are enough real problems around without inventing any new ones to worry about".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that the photographic community needs to promote film more in the younger segments.

I know a lot of young and up and coming photographers that are fascinated with the subject, but knowledge and teaching is scarce (except from when you are on the Internet).
    The only thing that can keep things going, is that it exist a marked for the companies supplying film and analogue material, thus, stuff like lomography can only benefit the situation.

I am pretty sure that if you'd shown a 18 year old the process on _how_ to make a photo, from pressing the shutter at a location, to a finished print (from a scan or a wet-print), that person would be fascinated and interested to learn more and shoot analogue himself/herself.

The problem is, perhaps, that there are very few younger people being thought this these days, so the knowledge and the marked keeps getting smaller.

Maybe have a mantra "teach one youngster per year on how to shoot, develop and print using film" would be an idea?
    Last edited by Helinophoto; 10-24-2011 at 07:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    except my card got kind of nasty when i removed it from the caffenol
    Well, it had the jitters real bad.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't own a digital camera and the only time I might consider buying one is if and when there is no more film, by which time I'll probably too old to get my head round the technology, hell I don't fully understand the wonders of film photography yet and I've been shooting for more than fifty years.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For Helinphoto, I've gone to the local high school where photography is taught, and they still have a working darkroom, and volunteered my time to work with the students. I've taken on a couple a year for internships, and spent lots of time in the darkroom with them developing a portfolio for college. The younger pro's like to come over anytime I'm printing, especially Lith, and I feel strongly about forming community with other film users. It's not difficult to bring others into the fold, and I frequently loan out cameras, everything from 35mm to large format. We need to share our knowledge with others, as often as we can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RPippin, indeed, it is people like yourself that keeps the ball rolling, good job =)
    I was lucky enough to have a couple of darkroom classes in 1988-1989 in junior high and when I started doing some photography 4-5 years ago, I was quick to buy myself a analogue camera and see if I remembered anything from my school days. (I am now 37).

We just learned the basics; Getting the film onto the reel, how to develop a film, how to do proofs, how to print to paper and develop/fix that, a tiny bit of burn/dodge and that was it, very very basic. (the teacher didn't know a lot).

A little peek is usually enough to ignite a lasting interest in the subject, if the person really does have a passion for photography that is.
    I promote analogue photography to all the people I know that does some kind of photography and I tell them that it's not that difficult, really, nor expensive.
    - The challenge is control i suppose, but I don't want to scare people away from the get-go ;-)

Just seeing the expression on someones face when they pull some t-max 100 of a plastic reel for the first time, after souping and fixing it it in some TMax, at factory advised temperature and time, is priceless. =)
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin