Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,158   Online: 900

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swhiser View Post
    There are several good examples of companies picking up the old manufacturing assets and addressing the new, yes GROWING, markets for particularly black & white camera film.

o Rollei, see ADOX below
    o ADOX Fotowerke GmbH (ADOX in Leverkusen): Adox bought the machinery from the old AGFA plant and hired some of AGFA Leverkusen's former employees.
    o Fotikemika (Efke in Croatia)
    o Foma Bohemia (Fomapan in the Czech Republic)
    o Impossible Project (new Polaroid-type instant formulas in Enschede, Netherlands),
    o New55 Project (new better-than Polaroid Type 55 instant, still in development)
    o there are good film stocks coming out of Shanghai (probably based on some of the above classic formulations)

The trend defies mainstream logic; but of course mainstream thought has always struggled against a bias toward coherence.

The landscape is changing, but film will not be going away in <em>this</em> generation.
    I hope you are right, and have a feeling there will always be a niche market for it.

But:

1. Where do you get the data and market trend that film is growing among still shooters?

2. What does that do to darkroom printing? Are all of these new film shooters mainly scanning for digital output?

3. Efke and Foma have both been around since the hills of Alabama were formed. They are hardly a new addition to the film market. And, what makes you think that they, along with Shanghai, Era, and Lucky would be any better at downsizing than the rest?

I don't wish to spoil your enthusiasm, but I felt it sounded more like opinion than fact.

- Thomas

"Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Adox and Ilford will be around.... others small companies may come and go.
    CNC machines and automated welding haven't killed the classic car hobby, in some way it has helped it.
    SMALL scale manufacturing of almost anything imaginable is economically "easy" compared to 30 years ago.
    Distribution is easy.
    I have faith I will be able to buy 120, 35mm, and even 5x7 black and white films and papers until I croak or my son croaks. Color?? T-Max... I might not be so sure.
    Last edited by vpwphoto; 10-24-2011 at 09:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    ... and Fuji is doing OK without US-gov or motion picture business ...
    Fuji is big in motion picture film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Yes, there is already a thread on this.
    I've been away for a few weeks. Can you point me to the other thread? Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Buy film, make pictures and promote it!
    regards,

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    .......Where do you get the data and market trend that film is growing among still shooters?........
    Steven Brierley, of Ilford, reports that Ilford's B&W sales have increased 8% over last year and that medium format sales (120) have seen a substantial increase over last year too (probably due to the Lomo crowd).

Here's an interview with Brierley on the British podcast "Film Wasters." Well worth the listen (though it is long).

http://www.filmwasters.com/

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Steven Brierley, of Ilford, reports that Ilford's B&W sales have increased 8% over last year and that medium format sales (120) have seen a substantial increase over last year too (probably due to the Lomo crowd).

Here's an interview with Brierley on the British podcast "Film Wasters." Well worth the listen (though it is long).

http://www.filmwasters.com/

Jim B.
    Thanks for providing the link and substantiating some of the claim.

Is that true for all manufacturers? Or just for Ilford?

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    yes, they are Very competitive for print stock.

The thing in the original article that I find as a worry is the real push to convert all theatres in the US to digital projection. one theatre screen, with the movie changed every two or three weeks will use as much (of the cheapest possible kind) of film in a year as any of us can possibly use over any tenth of time (9,000 or more feet of 35mm for each new movie per theatre.) which has been suporting both Kodak and Fuji film making infrastructure.

The article mentions that the movie industry was 5% of Kodak's film business in the mid 20th century, but is 95% now, with the same actual volume of film. Digital projection will cut the demand for print stock. Presumably Bollywood will convert more slowly?
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The CreativeCOW folks have a better written articles, like this one:
    The Library of Congress Unlocks The Ultimate Archive System
    http://magazine.creativecow.net/arti...archive-system
    Back to the OP linked article, You have to download the "Printer Friendly" edition and read the article from that .pdf file in order to understand what they are trying to say..
    http://magazine.creativecow.net/issu...ading-to-black
    The article is formatted in white text on black background, like the editor wanted to put accent on the "death" theme..
    Along the article there are huge Ads, of course, proudly promoting digital..
    There is no doubt that CreativeCOW wrote that article to infuse, that they are traitors in respect to film.
    Somewhere along the comments on the web version of the article, the Publisher, CEO Creative COW gets active in trying to defend themselves by "Where on Earth did we say that film is DEAD?"

His signature reads "Publisher, Creative COW Magazine, A 2011 FOLIO: 40 honoree as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America"

Folks, We need PE/Ron Mowrey as one of the 40 most influential publishers in America

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    Bugger. I thought that was mostly a Kodak vulnerability.

Of course I have no idea what will happen within Fuji when that part of the business drops off and whether they will continue to make Acros, Velvia, etc. However, I still think (and this is completely supposition on my part) that the demise of one major (Kodak or Fuji) will significantly boost the throughput and therefore profitability of the others' film division. I can hope that a small manufacturer will license C41 and/or E6 film recipes and continue where a major leaves off but that's assuming a lot more broadmindedness of senior management than I give most of them credit for.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin