Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,557   Online: 977

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't worry about Fuji unlike Kodak they are not a stand alone company but owned by a larger business entity (Mitsui Group), Fuji might die as a Film company but not as a manufacturer of quality goods. Btw. Filmotec in Wolfen produces both MP and Stillfilms so does Tasma in Russia (according to some their B&W MP Stock is good to great http://www.tasma.ru/) Unfortunately neither Filmotec nor Tasma produce Colorfilm. Aside from Kodak only Agfa-Gevaert, Fuji, Ferrania ?, and Lucky currently produce color film. If Kodak (in a 1000 years "personal wish") dies one of them might pick up the color business and MP business.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    Digital projection will cut the demand for print stock. Presumably Bollywood will convert more slowly?
    And Europe I think. Whilst US cinemas seem to be owned by big corporations, cinemas here are more likely to be owned privately or by smaller companies who would not want to spend many thousands on a digital projector which might be obsolete in a few years when the projector they already have works perfectly well.

Steve.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipA View Post
    I've been away for a few weeks. Can you point me to the other thread? Thanks.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum390/...m-cameras.html

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear Steve Europe is the fastest to convert to digital Norway is pretty much 100% digital ,Germany is getting there rather fast thanks to massive state founding so is Austria again thanks to massive State founding. Most cinema screens in Europe are owned by larger Groups e.g. Constantin Film, Village Cinema, UCI, etc... The travelling cinemas in India might be the last place to see projected film instead of digital the fixed screens in India are converting to digital at a fast rate. The biggest hope for film are the traveling cinemas and archives two rather old fashioned organisations (thank god).

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just the UK then!

Steve.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve here's a links to a list showing digital screens (cinemas to avoid) in the UK http://www.yourlocalcinema.com/ukfc....ance.list.html

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Picturehouse cinema chain has taken to digital for new releases, although the local Cinema City Norwich (Picturehouse / City Screen) maintains film projections for archives and non new releases. The digital projection quality is surprisingly variable considering the (D-cinema) projectors are similar as far as I know. wide ratio anamorphic 35mm prints can give much higher resolution than current mainstream digital projection. I've also noticed occasional issues with lack of contrast and more frequently colour quality and depth; but these can be a problem with some film prints as well.

Nevertheless, there still seems to be an attitude that 'digital must be best'...

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Kershaw; 10-25-2011 at 06:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    wide ratio anamorphic 35mm prints can give much higher resolution than current mainstream digital projection.
    I think the key word is can, but not in the way the industry works today. Final editing most commonly takes place on a computer at 2k or 4k resolution. After editing most films are still written to 35mm digital intermediates at 2k not 4k to save money and time, and depending on the film writer that may be 2k/4k across the full with of the film and not just the frame part. The print you see in the cinema can be several generations away from the digital internegative or digital interpositive+subsequent internegatives used during duplication following editing too. Because of the way things work today few films have release prints with a resolution getting anywhere close to 4k and for many they only just get close to 2k.

Having said that I still like to get my old 16mm and S8 projectors out and look at some of the old reels I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you AgX.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Oracle has made another pronouncement...
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/About...9168/index.htm

this is an article by Kimberly Snyder, President
    Kodak’s Entertainment Imaging Division

She says that they have More Film in the pipeline.. and all is well, and they have a lot of science to keep the movies on course... Mind you about 4 of the five things she talks about have nothing to do with analog Photography..

she even links to a list http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Produ...mers/index.htm of movies which are using Kodak film.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin