Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,249   Online: 1012

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If Freestyle is getting out of importing this paper the best alternative I can think of is http://www.ultrafineonline.com
    They are a great company and if enough of us ask they may import a trial batch of paper for us. If we buy it they will buy another batch.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I really liked Slavich, despite the occasional defects (I once had a pack with half the sheets marred by diagonal "stripes" of no emulsion...). I'm sorry to see it go, but really like the Adox papers (Nuance graded) and sure hope they stay in stock and deliverable!

Slavich is worth importing and I'm hoping someone else picks it up. I can't imagine that Freestyle is doing this willingly, there must be a problem somewhere in the supply chain that makes it no longer worthwhile for them. Maybe they could chime in here?

Best,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thankfully, I have never had any defective paper in all the Slavich packs I've used. I don't buy it because it's cheap. My primary paper is Ilford Galerie, which I consider to be the finest paper on the market. I use Slavich because of the rich coldness of the bromide, the matte finish and because I prefer to use graded papers. It's the only one of it's kind. Now, if there was another one like it I would pick it up in a heart beat regardless of the price. I'd eat canned tuna and ramen if I had too.

I can't imagine what is happening but there must be more to it because Freestyle sells stuff that no one else does.

sheesh but this is getting rather sad! I see a lot of young kids getting more and more into analogue so you'd think some of these small runs would be viable to somebody, eh?.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ridax View Post
    In my tests made a decade ago, I found the bleach could be of any type (copper, dichromate, ferrocianide, etc., etc.), and the print tone was mainly influenced by the 2nd developer. Methol, Amidol, Hidroxilamine (sp?), and FeEDTA give cold tones, and Phenidone, Hidroquinone, Pyro, Catechu (sp?), etc., give warm tones. Also, Bensotriazole is an effective suppresser of the warm-tone, and being added to the solution, gives cold tones even with Hidroquinone. The exact 2nd developer formula may be whatever you want (I even never measure the amounts), as the 2nd development is done in daylight. But: keep the sulfite concentration at a minimum or sulfite would dissolve some of the silver and weaken the image. Besides, it's usually better to make the developer somewhat diluted to have better control (you stop the redevelopment as soon as the tone is right, then rinse and fix your print).

Silver Chloride (as AZO) and Chlorobromide (Fortezo, Bromportrait) papers are more sensitive to the developer variations and readily change tone if you just change the 1st (and only) developer, without any bleaching+redevelopment. Silver Bromide papers (Brovira, Bromofort, Unibrom, etc.) are more stable in tone regardless of the 1st developer formula, but they too readily change the tone when bleached and redeveloped. BTW, that's why this bleach+redevelopment method way invented, as far as I know...

... I used to avoid Slavich papers back in the 1980s with all my hart. IMHO, Slavich used to be the worst photo paper manufacturer in the USSR. But now there is little choice really...

To the best of my knowledge, all the above suggestions are good ones. I like to go by the book, so I've taken a less experimental approach.

Manly has three different bleaches and three different developers that when used in various combination can give sepia, blue black, and even a purple-ish, sort of gold toned look. I used to teach a class where we mixed all the variations and they worked as advertised. Warmtone paper seemed to be the most responsive and Ilford Multigrade, the least. When I have time I'll start a new thread and post those formulas. Me personally, I miss Agfa Multi Contrast Classic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    I bought some Varycon paper from DT earlier this year & it arrived in a Freestyle box with a Freestyle packing slip. Postage was cheaper than if I had bought direct from Freestyle! I assumed that DT was some kind of re-seller.
    Hopefully with the Slavich they are stocking it as it would be frustrating to lose access to an interesting emulsion.
    Wow, too bad on another front too, albeit maybe cheaper shipping for some items.

The other front is that I "discovered" DT through this thread (I had been to the Massive Development Chart many times but didn't realize a place called "Digital" would sell film, paper etc. - the chart should have been a clue) and was delighted to see they carry *my* favorite paper and show in stock where Freestyle is out, namely Adox MC 110. I love the paper and Freestyle shows no hint of dropping it, but can't seem to keep it in stock, especially in 11x14. As that's the largest size I'm set up to print now and I shoot 4x5, it's my go-to size for display prints.

I hope the fans of Slavich paper arrange another source. I'd love a true cold tone paper but I'm not going back to graded paper unless for some awful reason I must. Modern VC papers are just too good and too convenient (only one needed to stock per size, no two developer trays to split development, burn with a different filter etc.) to go back. Now if they made the Slavich in VC and it were available, I'd certainly try it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey guys.... I just posted the first of my sci-fi images using the Unibrom 160 matte, g2... check it out :

This paper is so beautiful it sickens me to lose it when I just got started.

Hope I can find something equal to it.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle still has it stocked. I bought a couple packs of 8x10 matte (100) this morning. It looks like they still have plenty of 100 packs of everything else. But get it while supplies last, I guess.

They are low on:
    Matte g4 - 8x10/25
    Matte g3 - 11x14/25
    Matte g4 - 11x14/25 sheets
    Glossy g2 - 8x10/25 sheets

But still have plenty in 100 packs.

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    http://www.slavich.ru/?id=61
    Galustyan Tamara Yuryevna
    Tel/fax: (48535) 6-90-82
    E-mail:dfet@slavich.ru
    Last edited by georg16nik; 11-08-2011 at 06:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried sending them an email over a week ago. Still no reply.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    No worries, I just shot them an e-mail in russian.
    Few months ago, a friend came back from Russia with a box full of paper. He would have mentioned if there are issues.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin