Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,045   Online: 756

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

No More Slavich Paper From Freestyle

Figures...it never fails. I've been printing more and more on Slavich paper and loving it for straight up b&w with no toning. Well, I was just informed by a rep at Freestyle, after placing order and finding out that they were short a couple of boxes, that they will no longer import the paper. Reason given: "too expensive to import in the US". Like Ralph Gibson once said, "If you don't like the look on Ilford paper...you can always print in Ilford paper." Not that there is anything wrong with Ilford paper but if I want good, graded silver bromide paper...well, that ain't Ilford..
    This sucks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    can empathize Max.... It does suck, especially as it is THE coldest tone paper available since Agfa Brovira :-(.... I just don't understand why they do not charge more for it based upon the import costs.... I have to believe the cost for the paper is not that great considering that so cheap to buy already... I'd gladly pay a bit more for this paper if it helped cover the import costs. :-( I mean, this and Emaks graded is the cheapest decent paper around.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    can empathize Max.... It does suck, especially as it is THE coldest tone paper available since Agfa Brovira :-(.... I just don't understand why they do not charge more for it based upon the import costs.... I have to believe the cost for the paper is not that great considering that so cheap to buy already... I'd gladly pay a bit more for this paper if it helped cover the import costs. :-( I mean, this and Emaks graded is the cheapest decent paper around.

I don't get it either, Andrew. I've asked about large special orders and the answer was NO. Which means that there may be more to the story. I would gladly pay more as well, as it is really good paper and there isn't anything else quite like it now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you find another distributor?

There is a place called Laser Reflections in Poulsbo, WA that sells Slavich holography plates. Perhaps they could be enticed.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Could you find another distributor?

There is a place called Laser Reflections in Poulsbo, WA that sells Slavich holography plates. Perhaps they could be enticed.
    Who knows...maybe someone may step up but if Freestyle can't make it happen, I doubt anyone else would even bother picking up distribution.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you don't like Ilford... try Ilford!

It's a mega Bummer. I simply can'T believe what is happening to photography. Quality going down, down, down and down.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The title of this thread is misleading.
    It should be changed into something like "Freestyle no longer offers Slavich paper".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is just f*** great! Six weeks of testing for a new project and I committed myself to using Slavich because of it's beautiful cold toned matte paper. Ordered boxes of both #2 and #3 from Freestyle this week. It would have been nice to know that, that was it. There is no way this will be enough to get me through the project and into the future.

It's not about the price it's about the quality and having choices. I can't use Ilford Galerie for everything, some projects require a different look. I don't like the Kentmere surface anywhere near as well as the Slavich and I won't use it, as those 2 are the only cold toned papers I know.

I agree with Andrew, I'll gladly pay more if that's what it comes down to. and I will get it shipped from overseas if I have to, just to have access to this paper.

Does anyone else have a source in the UK? I can't find anyone else in the US that stocks it.
    Last edited by VaryaV; 10-27-2011 at 04:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VaryaV View Post
    This is just f*** great! Six weeks of testing for a new project and I committed myself to using Slavich because of it's beautiful cold toned matte paper. Ordered boxes of both #2 and #3 from Freestyle this week. It would have been nice to know that, that was it. There is no way this will be enough to get me through the project and into the future.

It's not about the price it's about the quality and having choices. I can't use Ilford Galerie for everything, some projects require a different look. I don't like the Kentmere surface anywhere near as well as the Slavich and I won't use it, as those 2 are the only cold toned papers I know.

I agree with Andrew, I'll gladly pay more if that's what it comes down to. and I will get it shipped from overseas if I have to, just to have access to this paper.

Does anyone else have a source in the UK? I can't find anyone else in the US that stocks it.
    Tell me about it..I've settled on grade 2-3 and been testing it to taylor my negs to it and...poof. I have a stash but it will obviously not last forever. Unfortunately, no, there isn't anything like it and that really sucks. Simply saying I'll use Galerie or Foma, isn't going to cut it. It's like sprinkling Pecorino Romano on lasagna instead of Parmigiano Reggiano. Both taste good but it's not quite the way it should be

I would be happy to pay more and asked the wonderful rep at Freestyle if they would consider a large, pre-paid order. She said no, so obviously something else may be at the heart of the matter. I'm sure someone in Europe must have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, hopefully one of our European Apuggers knows where and can send a link. I've had real good luck getting products shipped from the UK and they get here in the same amount of time.

Digitaltruth has the single-weight glossy in Grade#3 but I want the Double-weight matte. It's such a beautiful paper. A warm tone paper just won't work for this project.

oi
    Last edited by VaryaV; 10-27-2011 at 05:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin