Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,589   Online: 916

Shooter
    Medium Format

Oooh, Hasselblad still believe in film (ish)

Hi there,

I know that the Hasselblad H1/H2 film cameras haven't been everyones cup of tea or first choice for Hasselblad camera however for owners of these cameras Hasselblad has released an H4x version capable of interchangable backs and taking film!

It has been some time since Hasselblad (or other manufacturer?) has released an updated film capable camera with the electronic advancements of the last few years. Ok, no good if you don't like electronic cameras, Hasselblads or 6x4.5 but interesting to see that they felt it worthwhile to spend the investment on an interchangeable back version of their previously digital fixed back only versions including the trufocus capability.

Downside is that one has to upgrade from an H1 or H2 as it cannot, at present, be bought as a standalone product. Wonder if "fleebay" prices of H1/2 will go up or down!

Does give an idea of how much a new medium format camera would actually cost!

http://hasselblad.co.uk/news/every-b...g-the-h4x.aspx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad that Hasselblad realized they were shooting themselves in the foot by keeping the H3D/H4D digital cameras proprietary with their own digital backs. Basically cutting out Leaf, Sinar, and Phase 1, AND film users(those of us who can afford such an expensive camera ). Well done Hasselblad! I owned an H2 for about a year, sold it because my growing addiction to LF photography . Very nice camera. But the lenses were to expensive for me at the time to expand my kit from the 80/2.8 kit lens, so I sold it(for a profit too ).

I'm still using Hasselblad now though, just with a 6X6 kit.

-Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    All the H-series cameras could be used with film. They have been sold with digital backs, but 120 film backs have always been available, although at an extreme price. Given that the whole thing is an overpriced Fuji camera, I'd stick with the old V-series cameras unless you also need a digital back. I love my 503cx; I have no desire for the H-series.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    All the H-series cameras could be used with film. They have been sold with digital backs, but 120 film backs have always been available, although at an extreme price. Given that the whole thing is an overpriced Fuji camera, I'd stick with the old V-series cameras unless you also need a digital back. I love my 503cx; I have no desire for the H-series.
    'Tis true that the backs have never been withdrawn from sale but try to load film into an H3 or H4 and perhaps it might become understandable why the H4x may be important for those using the H system for primarily film usage. Whatever ones opinion of a "rebadged Fuji camera" I found it rather positive that a manufacturer feels it worthwhile to spend on developing the upgrade, investing in the process of enabling this and be presumably willing to support through sales/service the product into the future.

Sure, it it most likely to be a professional use camera but perhaps it is indicative of a professional level demand for up-to-date film usage cameras. As a committed analogue user (whatever I personally feel about the H series) I found the subtext of the announcement to be more uplifting than reading about another film/paper not being available.

Sim2.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2 View Post
    'Tis true that the backs have never been withdrawn from sale but try to load film into an H3 or H4 and perhaps it might become understandable why the H4x may be important for those using the H system for primarily film usage. Whatever ones opinion of a "rebadged Fuji camera" I found it rather positive that a manufacturer feels it worthwhile to spend on developing the upgrade, investing in the process of enabling this and be presumably willing to support through sales/service the product into the future.

Sure, it it most likely to be a professional use camera but perhaps it is indicative of a professional level demand for up-to-date film usage cameras. As a committed analogue user (whatever I personally feel about the H series) I found the subtext of the announcement to be more uplifting than reading about another film/paper not being available.

Sim2.
    Well, Fuji does manufacture film. It makes sense to me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin