Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,428   Online: 951

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak times for Plus-X and Tri-X in HC-110 dilution B are very, very wrong. They are times that should work well for dilution A, not B. Try 6 to 7 minutes in HC-110 dilution B instead of the published times. I don't know if this is due to a misprint, due to a mistake in testing, or due to something else, but Kodak has not fixed it for years, which I find ridiculous.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    What does that mean?
    It only means that I purchased 200 rolls from them this year, which is 200 more then last year.
    If it wasn't for their special offer (buy one, get one free), I'm not sure they'd have my business at all in 2011.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Why do people say that ilford are doing ok? Just parroting around?
    Over at filmwasters.com Leon Taylor interviewed Steven Brierly of Harmann/Ilford, and in the interview Mr Brierly states they have had an increase in sales this year, contrary to the market trend. I remember a figure of 8%.
    Dumping free film on the market helps to boost sales for sure
    What does that mean?
    It only means that I purchased 200 rolls from them this year, which is 200 more then last year.
    If it wasn't for their special offer (buy one, get one free), I'm not sure they'd have my business at all in 2011.

So... Ilford wasn't dumping free film on the market. You purchased 200 rolls of it at half-price during one of Ilford's occassional promotions. Which then helped contribute to that 8% sales increase mentioned by Mr. Steven Brierly of Harman/Ilford. Which then is a valid indicator that Ilford might indeed be doing OK...

Do I have that right?

And the relevant point you are trying to make would be...?

Ken
    "Hate is an adolescent term used to stop discussion with people you disagree with. You can do better than that."
    —'blanksy', December 13, 2013

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mr. Brierly also stated that sales of Ilford's 120 B&W film have shown a healthy increase this year, which he attributed to the Holga crowd.

And, if I remember what Simon Galley mentioned earlier his year, Iflord/Harmon is profitable.

Jim B.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Mr. Brierly also stated that sales of Ilford's 120 B&W film have shown a healthy increase this year, which he attributed to the Holga crowd.

And, if I remember what Simon Galley mentioned earlier his year, Iflord/Harmon is profitable.

Jim B.
    Yep...and if they weren't, I doubt they'd be putting out a pinhole camera kit which so far has shown great demand. I know I'll be buying one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm glad you mentioned Medalist. I used the stuff for years, and loved the results when using Edwal Platinum developer with the F surface paper dried matte. Fantastic midtones that were pearly gray. I've not seen any Medalist around for at least 20-25 years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have participated in the last few rounds of the Postcard Exchange and drew my name, you will have received a postcard printed on Kodak Polycontrast paper. The negatives were shot on Plus-X and developed in HC-110 (although I used dilution E).

The HC110 and Plus-X data sheets are in error, I agree.

And I am still sad.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    It always sucks to lose a film, but there are replacements for Plus-X available, such as FP4 or TMX or Acros. Its nothing like losing polaroid or anything.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    So... Ilford wasn't dumping free film on the market. You purchased 200 rolls of it at half-price during one of Ilford's occassional promotions. Which then helped contribute to that 8% sales increase mentioned by Mr. Steven Brierly of Harman/Ilford. Which then is a valid indicator that Ilford might indeed be doing OK...

Do I have that right?

And the relevant point you are trying to make would be...?

Ken

Absolutely not.
    This really only shows that they produced too much for the market to bear. In other words, they probably over-estimated the demand for their product which would quickly turn their profits into catastrophe if the wouldn't have dumped a big portion of their production.

But enough of this nonsense exchange with folks who absolutely want to be right about Ilford. As far as economy is concerned, dumping is never positive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It’s called a sale or a promotion. Companies do it all the time to get you using their products. People here complain that Kodak did not promote Plus-x enough.

If all Ilford wanted to do was to get rid of excess stock they would have sold it to someone for silver recovery and not given it away for free.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin