Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,039   Online: 911
      
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 122
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    69
    Images
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    It’s called a sale or a promotion. Companies do it all the time to get you using their products. People here complain that Kodak did not promote Plus-x enough.
    Correct. Ilford's promotion made HP5 competitive with Tri-X and I jumped on it. Now that I have tried it I would buy it again. It's a good idea to have promotions like this to grab some market share.

  2. #102

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mission Viejo, California
    Shooter
    127 Format
    Posts
    1,490
    The way things are going Ilford won't have to do any promotions. Just wait and all the market share will come to them by default.
    - Bill Lynch

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,021
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    The way things are going Ilford won't have to do any promotions. Just wait and all the market share will come to them by default.
    And hopefully the patents for T-Max too.
    2F/2F

    "Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

    - Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

  4. #104

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cheshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    1,909
    Dear All,

    A few facts to go with the speculation :

    Yes, as Steven Brierley has said our film sales are up in 2011, we put this down to maintaining the range, all films and all formats and no deletions:

    We never 'dump' or 'over produce' we make film every month, as much as we need.

    We have ALWAYS run promotions, all over the world, these add value to our products, its called marketing and promotion, we have done it for years and we will continue to do it, on film and paper products.

    Our market share for monochrome paper overtook KODAK's in the 90's long before they withdrew from the paper market.

    HARMAN technology is focussed on monochrome photographic products, we are profitable and we remain profitable, whilst we are a private limited company our full accounts are always ( for a fee ) available from companies house in the UK.

    Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

  5. #105
    MattKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Delta, British Columbia, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    12,927
    Images
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Dear All,

    A few facts to go with the speculation :

    Yes, as Steven Brierley has said our film sales are up in 2011, we put this down to maintaining the range, all films and all formats and no deletions:

    We never 'dump' or 'over produce' we make film every month, as much as we need.

    We have ALWAYS run promotions, all over the world, these add value to our products, its called marketing and promotion, we have done it for years and we will continue to do it, on film and paper products.

    Our market share for monochrome paper overtook KODAK's in the 90's long before they withdrew from the paper market.

    HARMAN technology is focussed on monochrome photographic products, we are profitable and we remain profitable, whilst we are a private limited company our full accounts are always ( for a fee ) available from companies house in the UK.

    Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Thanks Simon.

    Maybe you should consider adding "A few facts to go with the speculation:" to your signature line.
    Matt

    “Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

    Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

  6. #106
    cmacd123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stittsville, Ontario
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    We have ALWAYS run promotions, all over the world, these add value to our products, its called marketing and promotion, we have done it for years and we will continue to do it, on film and paper products.

    An I always look forward to the promotions, they are great value. (although I am probably overstocked on 8X10 Paper because of the 40 for 25 and 2rolls of film with 25 sheets over the years.) I almost feel guilty about the quantity of the Buy one get one promotion I purchased, lets just say I will be using a LOT of HP5 over the next year. maybe enough to use up that paper. It was almost like the good old days of Buying "English Professional" without needing to get out the Bulk Loader.

    Many of the Ilford promotions are slanted to getting student photographers into the Ilford camp. I certainly appreciate them.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

  7. #107
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,207
    I appreciate them too, and picked up a couple rolls of 35mm HP5. I like it, but I do prefer Tri-X because I find it more versatile for shooting anywhere from 200 to 1250 or so. At box speed I don't think there's much difference.

    If they offered the 2:1 promotion in 120 I'd be all over that. Maybe in 4x5 too though the fact I shoot so much less film means TMY-2 is worth paying for, for me.

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    532
    Does anyone know for a fact that Kodak is still coating ordinary photographic film such as tri-X, etc.? A Kodak employee very recently told me that the company has shut down some of their production lines and that these days they only coat motion picture film. It is possible that he is wrong, but given the fact that he works for the company his information should not be discounted altogether.

    It is not my wish to see Kodak fail, but being realistic about this, the future does not look bright for the company.
    Last edited by alanrockwood; 11-08-2011 at 10:26 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar

  9. #109
    cmacd123's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Stittsville, Ontario
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by alanrockwood View Post
    Does anyone know for a fact that Kodak is still coating ordinary photographic film such as tri-X, etc.? A Kodak employee very recently told me that the company has shut down some of their production lines and that these days they only coat motion picture film. It is possible that he is wrong, but given the fact that he works for the company his information should not be discounted altogether.
    The previous discussions have indicated that they are down to something like 3 places that can make film, with only one actually making film. The difference in the quantity of Motion Picture print film made, compared to almost any other product means that 99% of the time that is likely the only run scheduled. a single 120 Minute film print uses 10800 feet of film not including waste and leaders, and that puts one movie in one theatre. (The waste comes in as the labs are generally only allowed one splice per reel and depending on the length of the reels, they may have a few hundred feet that they can't use.)

    New movies come out in a few hundred theatres at a time, every week or two. (which is why the switch to digital projection is killing this particular market)

    Given the state of Kodak's health and Finances, I would hate to be the manager trying to get approval to make 10,000 feet of Tri-X (30 some odd 35mm wide strips at a time of course.)
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by cmacd123 View Post
    The previous discussions have indicated that they are down to something like 3 places that can make film, with only one actually making film. The difference in the quantity of Motion Picture print film made, compared to almost any other product means that 99% of the time that is likely the only run scheduled. a single 120 Minute film print uses 10800 feet of film not including waste and leaders, and that puts one movie in one theatre. (The waste comes in as the labs are generally only allowed one splice per reel and depending on the length of the reels, they may have a few hundred feet that they can't use.)

    New movies come out in a few hundred theatres at a time, every week or two. (which is why the switch to digital projection is killing this particular market)

    Given the state of Kodak's health and Finances, I would hate to be the manager trying to get approval to make 10,000 feet of Tri-X (30 some odd 35mm wide strips at a time of course.)
    That would be what, 60,000 36 exposure rolls, give or take? Can anybody outside Kodak really say just how much film Kodak sells? What world-wide demand is? I've posted this before; just how small can a single coating facility be and remain profitable? Can Kodak remain as big as it is selling whatever it sells? It doesn't look like it. Can a Kodak-ish company remain viable running a single plant coating a couple emulsions? I'd like to think it can be done. You don't need to be all over the world; your products do. Not too long ago I Ebay-ed a Kodak lab timer from Romania and received it in less than ten days. Apple runs a supply channel at four days of inventory. If modern shipping methods can provide examples like that I think "a Kodak" could become small enough and tight enough that it could survive, assuming the debt "disappeared" in some fashion. Does it want to? Who knows. What if all it wants to sell is Kodacolor-whatever? Count me out.

    Companies have in the past closed their doors one day and opened them up the next with new stock and zero debt. I have lost a little money in a company that did just that.
    s-a



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin