Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,563   Online: 1003

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind these "classic cubic" films are not as classic as they once were. These films have been modernized over the years and are more like hybrid traditional-tabular films. Plus-X, Tri-X, FP4+, HP5+, Pan F+ all fall into this category. Tri-X users who think they are using the classic 1960s Tri-X are fooling themselves.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Micheal this might very well be but the manufacturing process for hybrid films can still be more expensive than the one for t-grain only films. And I am in full agreement you observation that Tri-X users are sometimes fooling themselves and that the emulsion has changed a lot.

Dominik

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A little off subjust but they also just gave Elite Chome the AX.
    http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQueri...q-locale=en_US

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Micheal this might very well be but the manufacturing process for hybrid films can still be more expensive than the one for t-grain only films. And I am in full agreement you observation that Tri-X users are sometimes fooling themselves and that the emulsion has changed a lot.

Dominik
    Agreed. I have no idea what the costs are. Not sure, for example, if Plus-X is still more "silver rich" than TMX.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hate to see any film discontinued - especially a black and white film.

Kodak's grim slow slow motion self inflicted demise marches on.
    "My idea of a good life is that I wake up in the morning, go out and look around and make four rolls of film a day." - Josef Koudelka

"There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are." - Ernst Haas

"Nothing happens when you sit at home. I always make it a point to carry a camera with me at all times…I just shoot at what interests me at that moment." – Elliott Erwitt

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lensworker View Post
    I hate to see any film discontinued - especially a black and white film.

Kodak's grim slow slow motion self inflicted demise marches on.
    Suicide by a thousand cuts
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I don't know why you think it's self-inflicted. They can't force people to buy the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    I don't know why you think it's self-inflicted. They can't force people to buy the film.
    That's not the "self-inflicted" part...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No but Ilford is doing ok. Kodak could have done a lot more to promote film and slow the demise, at least. Whether they could do more to right-size and stay profitably in film is another question.

But as someone said, FP4+ is at least as good if not better in most ways, and fortunately is still readily available and looks to be going forward. I shoot FP4+ (and Tri-X and Delta 3200) in 120. This probably would have been Plus-X except that by the time I bought a medium format camera Kodak had stopped making it in 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The single biggest reason for the demise of film was the cheap crap called cameras delivered to the low end market. The fact is even the simplest digital camera made sure the image was in focus. The reality is the 'Joe schmo' wound up taking better pictures with the digital in hand than what he/she had for film. And yes, Kodak was the biggest seller of cheap crap they called cameras. It was how they stayed in business for so long and why they are in this position now.

You just have to go through someones box of pictures to see this in action. Apple will put that final nail in the coffin.......

I will just keep buying up as much of the good stuff while I can. There will always be film, but perhaps not the ones I prefer......

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin