Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,874   Online: 983

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    However, to say they were trying to actively kill their film business is a bit disingenuous.
    That was the paper business.

As I've said before, I think the problem is that Kodak is too big to care about any one thing except the stockholders bidding. That's where Ilford has the edge over Kodak and Fuji- scale and ownership.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, Kodak's film-making plants are too big. Plants made to produce massive amounts of film for the boom-times 1980s' just don't cut it in today's world where digital rules the roost. A small capacity film-making plant is what they really need, but that ain't going to happen.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    You may recall that around a year before Plus-X in 120 was discontinued, Kodak offered rebates on the pro packs of Plus-X 120 in an attempt to get people to buy it. Apparently they didn't sell enough.
    I suspect that they really DID sell enough. That was a method of clearing space in their warehouse. It probably WAS NOT a way to prepare for another production run.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Kansas View Post
    You may recall that around a year before Plus-X in 120 was discontinued, Kodak offered rebates on the pro packs of Plus-X 120 in an attempt to get people to buy it. Apparently they didn't sell enough.

Dave
    Well I bought 4 boxes, which was more 120 film than I ever bought before at one time. Didn't do me much good though, as despite my efforts they still killed it off.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Well I bought 4 boxes, which was more 120 film than I ever bought before at one time. Didn't do me much good though, as despite my efforts they still killed it off.
    This is a good example of what has nearly killed Kodak film. Four boxes is nothing, yet it is the most 120 film you have ever bought at one time. You are a perfect case in point of the types of customers who now make up the market...to which Kodak has failed to adapt. They failed to downsize effectively once commercial photographers ceased buying huge quantities of film. Users shooting your volume of film could have maintained the film division if Kodak would have gone through the pains to appropriately set themselves up for a small-scale market when the time to do so was right. It's too late now, I think. Hopefully T-Max lasts, if nothing else. It's their truly unique product IMO.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I always wanted to like Plus-X, but I always preferred FP4+. I've always preferred Tri-X to HP5+, though, so go figure.

I guess the general consensus is that if/when Tri-X goes, we're all done for? :P.

-jbl

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Very sad; very sad, indeed.

But I love thier honesty:

"While there is no direct replacement for PLUS-X 125 Film, you may find ILFORD FP-4+ — the world's finest–grained black-and-white film, to be a reasonable alternative. "

It does seem that every single film these days has THE WORLD'S FINEST GRAIN (for X kind of film).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicthumbs View Post
    It does seem that every single film these days has THE WORLD'S FINEST GRAIN (for X kind of film).
    Hey, I am the finest guy too... there is just one of me!
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicthumbs View Post
    Not for Tri-(X kind of film).
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At my place of work we raise prices on things we are about to discontinue, because devotees will continue to pay. It's called a cash cow, which is in the curve of demise, never likely to recover for various reasons.
    Then the replacement comes along and those same folks reluctantly adapt to the new situation.

I hope Kodak's reasons for discontinuing Plus-X are simply that they can't afford to keep it around, which makes it at least understandable. Still sad.

I was never able to tell it apart from FP4+ in a print, though.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin