Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,910   Posts: 1,630,659   Online: 1050

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Dumping free film on the market helps to boost sales for sure
    What does that mean?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    What does that mean?
    Good question. I wondered too. Seems like a snarky comment that implies either (a) giving samples will lead to desire/dpendence and mroe sales, or (b) giving samples takes away from potential sales.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    yeah, but you didn't know that the 3.5 min was for a rubber tank that you were supposed to violently throw against a wall for the duration, didn't you? That was one of Kodak's most well kept secrets.
    I guess that's what they really meant all along by "vigourous" agitation. No wonder my times are always longer than Kodak's. Mystery solved!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    I guess that's what they really meant all along by "vigourous" agitation. No wonder my times are always longer than Kodak's. Mystery solved!
    Sounds like a really good workout. Now where's my padded room again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Good question. I wondered too. Seems like a snarky comment that implies either (a) giving samples will lead to desire/dpendence and mroe sales, or (b) giving samples takes away from potential sales.
    Confused the heck out of me. Whether or not they gave film away for free, the comment Mr Brierly of Harman/Ilford made was that SALES was up 8%. That number does not include free samples.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HC110 B 3.5 minutes for Plus x and Tri-X, regardless if you rate it at 400 or 800? This well known Kodak joke is old by now.
    Ok, I never used HC-110 so I didn't know about that one. With D76 their recommendations seemed spot on for diffusion enlarger printing. Seemed pretty much the case with Xtol too, and now with T-Max and T-Max RS.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    There you have it, Michael, now you know

BTW...not ignoring your last PM...haven't had power for a week at home and been scrambling a bit. Finally came back today!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Confused the heck out of me. Whether or not they gave film away for free, the comment Mr Brierly of Harman/Ilford made was that SALES was up 8%. That number does not include free samples.
    Comment was probably a reference to the 2 for 1 HP5 sale. Heck, even I bought some and I've a) mostly quit 35mm black and white, and b) am, or was, a die hard Tri-X and Plus-X user in 35mm when I do shoot it.

But if that's sales in money it has a couple of components, one of which of course is unit price. Ilford films are relatively expensive, but not expensive as all that and there are alternatives so if people are paying the price, they must deem the product worth it. If it's in total rolls, I wonder if just this 2:1 HP5+ in 35mm deal would be anywhere near enough to account for such an increase. I doubt it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Sounds like a really good workout. Now where's my padded room again?
    Sure is, T...but you don't need the padded room if you use their patented HC1100 rubber tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do people say that ilford are doing ok? Just parroting around?

As far as I'm concerned, their HP5 2-for-1 sale showed how much in trouble they can be.
    And if kodak goes away, just watch Ilford's prices double. It's going to get ugly.
    I've heard this speculation before but I seriously doubt it.

First, there is other competition. The European Efke, Foma and Adox films may have (reported - I haven't tried them yet but I have two rolls of 120 Foma to get around to developing) QC problems and delicate emulsions etc. but they ARE available and you CAN use them. If the price spread is wide enough, people will. Secondly, film is not something anyone MUST have. It's not like food or (for many of us in the US anyway) gasoline that we absolutely, positively can't live without and will have to just pay the price regardless. If it's too expensive people will give up photography and/or go digital depending on their inclinations.

Ilford is already premium priced film (and paper even more so) in today's market. I seriously doubt there's much room for increase beyond whatever the silver market imposes. If Kodak folds and Ilford holds the line on prices they could benefit handsomely. Raise them too much and they'll forsake the potential benefit and then some.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin