Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,211   Online: 1117

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'd suggest that this is perhaps the most significant 'loss' for some time. For me it was a replacement for Fuji Sensia 100 and I've liked using it for the past year or so. The alternative Kodak E100 films are considerably more expensive (twice the price from where I normally buy) and if Kodak can't make a go of something cheap and cheerful, then I don't see the more expensive alternatives being long for this world, especially in 35mm. I'd guess that the 35mm slide medium is probably almost exclusively amateur territory. Chris Crawford (above) mentions his use of the pro material, but is that in 35mm or MF, Chris? (P.S. - Hope I'm wrong!)
    best wishes,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    It is inevitable, isn't it? Same film, just a different package and stock number effectively.

Sent from my K080 using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily. E100G is more expensive and made in multiple formats (well, at least in 120, it's supposedly in sheets but I can't find anyone who has it.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Chris Crawford (above) mentions his use of the pro material, but is that in 35mm or MF, Chris? (P.S. - Hope I'm wrong!)
    best wishes,
    Steve
    Both, but I shoot far more black and white film in both formats than I do color. My most recent color project was done in medium format, with a Hasselblad, using Fuji Provia 100F.

Along US-285 south of Roswell, New Mexico.

Roswell Landing store in Roswell, New Mexico.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Despite the handwringing, how many people shot any sizeable quantities of Elitechrome 100 in the past 2 years? There's your answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Despite the handwringing, how many people shot any sizeable quantities of Elitechrome 100 in the past 2 years? There's your answer.
    I shot a fair amount of E100G. The fact Elitechrome is pretty much the same film and was slightly cheaper (not half price, at least not anywhere I saw) and yet I used E100G is more an oversight on my part than anything.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    The fact Elitechrome is pretty much the same film and was slightly cheaper (not half price, at least not anywhere I saw) .
    In the UK, Discount Films Direct, where I normally buy slide film, are offering packs of 10 x 36 exp Elitechrome (the way I normally buy) for £36.00 and 10 x 36 E100G for £72.00. E100VS is £75 for 10.
    Ag Photographic are slightly cheaper for both, but I haven't done the sums for the p & p recently.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    It is inevitable, isn't it? Same film, just a different package and stock number effectively.
    I don't think so. I find it to be warmer. Maybe it's E100GX. I will miss it. Its warmer tone and its lower price made it my film of choice in 35mm since Kodachrome died, except for night shots which were on Astia.
    The higher price of E100G might scare off some people, but if it helps keep it afloat I don't mind paying it.

It is upsetting to lose a film. I hated to lose Astia; the other Fuji films don't impress me except Provia 400X.
    But when I started in the mid 70's there were no differentiated pro and amateur films from Kodak, nor different versions of the same speed within a line, like the Velvias, Astia and Provia or E100G, GX and VS.
    From Kodak in daylight balanced slide films there were K-25 and K-64, Ektachrome 64 and High Speed Ektachrome (ASA 160), both blue and grainy. Fuji had its 100ASA film (I don't recall any others), Agfa had its 64 ASA Agfachrome, and then there were the others like GAF and 3M I never bothered with. Somebody had a really grainy high speed film other than Kodak but I don't remember who.

So even if we end up with only a small selection we are still not much worse off than back then, and the films today are much better.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All you can do these days is to stock up on your favourite films and deep freeze them.
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    All you can do these days is to stock up on your favourite films and deep freeze them.
    Assuming there will still be accessible E6 processing options, whether commercial or DIY. This is becoming the crucial bottleneck. Here in Toronto with a population of around 6 million, there's really only one pro E6 lab left standing--Ed Burtynsky's Toronto Image Works.
    Last edited by CGW; 11-02-2011 at 09:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Assuming there will still be accessible E6 processing options, whether commercial or DIY. This is becoming the crucial bottleneck. Here in Toronto with a population of around 6 million, there's really only one pro E6 lab left standing--Ed Burtynsky's Toronto Image Works.
    There must be loads of places you can use mail order in Canada and the U.S, I have mine processed at a pro lab about 150 miles away from where I live.
    Ben

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin