Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,859   Online: 977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilfochrome Update

A recent media Release from Sandy Prints reads as follows....

"Hi there,

We are writing to update you about our plans for the Ilfochrome print process. Unfortunately, Ilford is planning to cease production of Ilfochrome paper and is now taking final orders.

We love Ilfochromes here at sandyprints and are committed to keeping the process alive as long as we can… the prints surpass everything else for colour purity and sharpness with archival properties second to none.

We are offering sandyprints artists the opportunity to pre order stock. If you have open editions or would like create new work on Ilfochrome this is your last chance. We can also output digital files to transparency for Ilfochrome printing.

About ordering:

You can order by the roll or by the metre.

Roll sizes are 127 cm x 30m, 105 cm x 30m, 76 cm x 30m and 50.8 cm x 30m.

If you are ordering by the metre, please let us know your print sizes with borders and the number of prints. When estimating your paper requirements, please factor in testing. For example, if your final prints total 2m, you will need to buy 3m to allow for testing.

As you can imagine, the costs of ordering stock upfront is prohibitive for us, so we will require payment for materials in advance. The price of the paper has not yet been set, and we can offer you a better price if we make a large order.

We need to place our order by 12th December, so please email us immediately to indicate your interest. Payment doesn’t need to be made for a while, but we do need indication of your commitment and the size of your order.

We realise this is rushed, but we can guarantee that we have secured stock and will fill you in on all the details later.

Regards

Julie and Sandy
    ---------------------------------------------------
    sandyprints
    2 / 21 Mars Road
    Lane Cove NSW 2066
    AUSTRALA

P : 02 9420 8883
    M : 0408 280 609
    E : info@sandyprints.com.au "
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On another note here is some more information about the Ilfochrome situation....

Dear Customer,
    ILFOCHROME Classic has been a flagship brand within the ILFORD range of products for well over forty years. The importance of this range is underlined by the fact that ILFORD has continued to manufacture this product even though overall demand has decreased significantly over the last few years. The reduction in volume has led to higher production costs that have been further exacerbated by the dramatic increase in the cost of silver.
    Unfortunately, the combination of low demand and higher raw material and production costs has left us no alternative but to discontinue the ILFOCHROME CLASSIC materials and related P3/P3X chemistry.
    The affected products are:
    ILFOCHROME CLASSIC
    CLEAR DISPLAY FILM – CC.F7
    TRANSLUCENT DISPLAY FILM – CT.F7
    DELUXE GLOSSY MEDIUM CONTRAST – CLM.1K DELUXE GLOSSY NORMAL CONTRAST – CPS.1K
    We understand the importance of these products to you and your business, and therefore, if there is sufficient demand, we are proposing a final production. We would like to offer you the opportunity to make a final purchase with the following conditions:
    • An official purchase order will need to be placed by 30thNovember 2011.
    • Will hold the pre-ordered rolls in storage until June 2013.
    • ILFORD Payments for the order can be made in monthly installments.
    As indicated, ILFORD has fully absorbed the high raw material and production and unfortunately we are unable to do this for the final production. Therefore, we will need to increase our supply price to you by 30% However, this price will be held
    between now and June 2013 and covers all storage and inventory costs.
    We would like to thank you for your understanding with this situation and if you have any questions or need any further information, please contact
    Mr. Christian Neumann (Tel: +41 26 435 7504)
    We look forward to continue serving you in the future Yours sincerely
    Paul Willems CEO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can't believe no one has to replied to this, it's a big deal.

I have got to figure out where I am going to come up with $3,000-$4,000 for my show....6-8 months early.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is very unfortunate, I have been lucky enough to take a class using this material at a local community college. After budget cuts, the instructor kept the class going with generous support from one of the students taking the class. We had a workshop this past summer with Richard Jackson from Hance Partners, again from generous support from both the instructor and the student. I was looking forward to more printing this coming spring. I was really close to getting some great prints with this amazing material.

Again I think this is a case of people not knowing what good really is. Unless you have seen high quality prints with this material you would not know what is possible in terms of color printing. Printing with this material from slides is very difficult and requires the use of contrast masking to achieve the best possible results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a shame, also a shame I have never had anything print on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not too late to use it. I just got 5 8x10" Ilforchromes from Lab-Ciba in Burbank, CA.

I hope people & labs like Stephen's, Franks in Burbank and others can hord a large inventory of Ilfochrome. It's very sad indeed to see it go.. and only a couple years after I learned about it.

*taps*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am putting up the cash for at least one 20" x 165 foot roll, possibly two depending on the final amount I am given. Since the largest film size I am printing from is 24mm x 65mm, 20" wide should do the trick for the show. I'm just glad it is not too late, I refuse to print Kodachrome with digital means.

Who knew, the last Kodachromes printed on Ilfochrome...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I can't believe no one has to replied to this, it's a big deal.

I have got to figure out where I am going to come up with $3,000-$4,000 for my show....6-8 months early.
    I think the lack of response to this in comparison to products like Kodachrome is a strong stark reflection of why this beautiful material must be discontinued.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    I think the lack of response to this in comparison to products like Kodachrome is a strong stark reflection of why this beautiful material must be discontinued.
    Agreed, it is a much more expensive item to pursue than a $8 roll of film costing another $8 to develop. It's worth it though, I am trying to find investors to bump my show up to at least have editions of 5 prints across 25-30 images, that could run close to 7-8 grand...

I am going to pull a good Kodachrome to get a 10x15 done to show would be philanthropists. I would love to see Kodachrome 25 from my XPan go 70" wide...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm hoping to get some prints made from it from the rolls of Kodachrome I shot last year, including some of my 83 year old mother (and one of her and my fiance in particular.) I'd like to do them myself but it's been over a decade since I've printed Ilfochrome and, while if it were going to continue to be available I would get back into it, I don't see the sense in that for a dieing medium. I'd rather just pay the bucks up front and get them made by someone experienced.

It's a sad loss, but I think the two things that really killed it were the price and lack of information/ready availability, more so than digital. There are lots of us who would use it, if we could still get it and if the price weren't so high. Yesyes, the demand isn't sufficient at the price they have to charge etc. I know the rational explanations. I'm just saying that IF the stuff cost, say, $1 per 8x10 sheet and another $0.50 to process AND were readily available, a lot of us would be buying it. And if a frog had wings..

I think my next project once I'm back into color will be to learn to make good internegatives. I know it's been discussed a bit here. There's bound to be a learning curve but it's probably easier than contrast masking Ilfochrome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin